Friday, July 30, 2010

Enjoying Today




***
Busha came over today to spend time with the boys, which gave me the opportunity to run some much needed errands. My stops included the blueberry farm, the bank, the local toy store, the farmers market, the co-op, the gas station, another farm stand, the grocery store, and the meat market.
The grocery store was my 2nd to last stop and after buying all local, fresh foods from my other stops it was kind of a downer walking into the big box store. Buying and eating fresh food makes me feel so good. And Damn does it taste good! For dinner we had New York Strip steaks from the meat market and potatoes and zucchini from the farmers market/stand. All cooked on the grill. Mmmmm, that's summer.
The picture above shows my loot - blueberries, cantaloupe, peaches, tomatoes, baby reds, garlic, onion, zucchini, lettuce, carrots, sweet potatoes, and fresh bread. And those flowers? Cost me $5 at the farmers market. Not pictured is the sweet corn that Collin picked up from the farm down the road on his way home.
As part of my Summer Soul in the Season list I wanted to make a conscious effort to buy produce locally at the various farmers markets and I'm happy to tell you I've done that this summer. I've been hitting up the markets about once a week and getting just enough produce to get us through the week (in the past I always bought too much and then it'd go to waste). Not only does the food taste better but it makes me feel good knowing I'm supporting the community. If I can't have my own garden this is definitely the next best thing.

No comments: