Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Spring Soul Season in Review

I don't know about you, but for me summer begins with Memorial Day weekend. Especially this year; we were Up North with high 80 degree weather, the beaches were full of kids and umbrellas, the dogs needed to swim to cool off, and we cooked a number of meals on the grill. This Memorial Day weekend felt more like the middle of July than the end of May. So yes, in my mind we have transitioned to summer, which makes me think it would be a good time to review my Spring Soul Season list.

This is the third season I've made a list of things I want to do, things I hope will refresh my soul. I've found it to be a good exercise even if I don't accomplish everything on the list.

Spring 2010 in Review:

1) Take Keaton to see the Easter Bunny and color Easter eggs. We did both. I wrote about them here and here.

2) Plant an herb garden (and possibly our vegetable garden, though this might fall into my summer list). I planted my herb garden on May Day. We haven't had time to get the vegetable garden in yet but I'm hoping that will happen in the next few weekends. I'm happy to report that so far the herb garden is doing okay. My cilantro and chives are doing the best (which is perfect, those are the two I wanted the most!) and we have a few sprouts of basil and parsley coming up too. I took this picture about 10 minutes ago.


3) Spring cleaning project: sort, organize, and clean our closet and dresser. Spring cleaning, although a chore, seems so refreshing during this time of year. Dare I say it is actually kinda fun to rid myself of clutter and items I don't use; to make things tidy and clean. That being said, I didn't finish this whole project. My dresser is complete and about 1/2 of my side of the closet has been sorted and organized. We still have some work to do and I think this task will be moving over to the "things to get done before the baby comes" list - but it has been started and even knowing that makes me feel a little better.

4) Take Keaton to the zoo. We took our zoo trip on Mother's Day. Because I forgot my camera I still haven't written a post about it. All the pictures are on my parent's camera and my mom has been too busy wrapping up her school year to upload them. I'm hoping I'll have them soon and then, even though it will be late, I'll write a post about the day.

5) Buy tulips for the kitchen table. I did buy tulips and proof of them is right here in this picture.

See way over there on the left hand side?? I screwed up though and didn't buy these until May. I should have bought them closer to Easter time because I'm gonna be honest, they weren't the prettiest of flowers. I tried taking a picture of them alone but, ehh, not so pretty flowers make not so pretty pictures. I enjoyed them while they were here; I just tried not to look too close :)

6) Make a carrot cake from scratch. This is an item that hasn't been completed, but also one that I'm not scratching off the list just because the season is over. I still intend to make this cake. The whole reason this was on the list in the first place is because sometime in early March I was cleaning out the pantry when Collin walked in and took a look at the ever-growing garbage pile. In it there was a boxed carrot cake and he immediately declared "you are not throwing that away." Carrot cake is his favorite. I put it back on the shelf but I just couldn't get over the fact that the expiration date was 2007! I put it back in the pile and promised him not only would I make him a cake, but I'd make it from scratch. AND it would be his birthday cake. His birthday, however, fell on a Thursday. The weekend before was Mother's Day and we were in Milwaukee. The Wednesday before we were at the Braves/Brewers game and the morning of his birthday he left for the cabin for 4 days. There was just never an ideal time around his birthday to get the cake made. And unfortunately May never really slowed down for us so I still have yet to make his cake. I am going to do this though, and I'll fill you in on the results when I do.
7) Help Collin clean up the flower beds and lawn. I can't say I've done a ton of weeding, but I think I have done more than in past years. I also spent a morning plant shopping with Busha where I bought a bunch of hanging baskets and I just love how the yard is colorful and cheery now.
I think that's a wrap. Sitting here tonight, on my normal Keatsday in which I had to be in the office to hit deadlines this week, I feel drained. It's times like these that reflecting on and thinking about what fills your soul are so important. Looking back at Spring 2010 I realize this was a really good season. One I enjoyed very much.
I'm currently working on my summer list; there are lots of things floating around in my head but nothing has gone on paper yet. That post will be coming soon.

6 comments:

Jill said...

I love this idea - I'm so glad you do this. It give my soul a hug when I see what you have on these lists...cause they're not even difficult things, just unfortunately, things you need to make a point to do or they won't get done. Thanks for the "soul hug" and glad you were able to get so many accomplished! Good luck on the summer list!

Kristin C. said...

I love this too...gives me good ideas and inspiration. It's nice to make a To-Do list of lifes little things...things we tend to forget in the daily hustle and bustle. ALso...I can't beleive you only have, like 60-something days till the baby is born!! Can't wait until THAT birth story!

joven said...

hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com

Em said...

Nice work on your spring list, Kate! I always look forward to seeing what you'll have on next season's list. I totally agree with Jill and Kristin that the idea of making a to-do list for life's little things (things that bring us joy) is a wonderful idea...we're much more apt to do them when they're written down somewhere, right?

Andrew Ryne said...

You are so ambitious - you make me smile just reading it

Amy Bomstad said...

Ooh! I can't wait to see your summer list! I don't know where you get the time for all this stuff! I am jealous...only wish I could be so organized.

About the lost canoer...She was with her siblings and grandma in ap 1person kayak and went off to look at something (there are a lot of breakoffs with islands) and when she came back they were gone. She went to look for them and even paddled upstream for 1/2 hour but couldn't. She was going to sleep in the sand with no food or water or tent so we took her in. Had 5 people sleeping in a 4 person tent that nite! She looked so frightened. We called 911, etc. but DNR couldn't get out there that night so she went with us the rest of the way.