Thursday, June 17, 2010

Laid Up

I'm not sure what time it was because our clock has been mysteriously set 1 hour and 20 odd minutes fast for the past week, but my guess is somewhere between midnight and 1 am, when I was awoken from a dead sleep, sitting bolt upright in bed, puking in my mouth once before swinging my feet onto the floor. I tried to run but my pinched sciatic made me a hobbling mess, thankfully I made it to the bathroom just in time to fling myself over the sink. As soon as the first wretched episode was over there were tears streaming down my flushed face and I was shaking, shivering, unable to hold my body still. The mess was more than the sink could handle so I moved over to the toilet as I felt the next purge coming. But the pinched nerve, it wouldn't allow me to get to my knees so I just kinda half-assed bent over and took my best aim. There were at least three or four more episodes. Violent is the only way I can describe them. I puked alot during the first trimester of this pregnancy, none of those times even came close to this. I was choking on my own spit and unable to form a sentence. "Paper towels" was all I could get out as Collin asked what I wanted him to do.

As he cleaned up the mess in our bathroom I moved over to the one in the hallway. Shaking I hung my head over the sink. Every time I went to the bathroom I was fully expecting to see blood. I sat there wondering, what the hell is this? Am I going into labor?

Earlier in the day my mom and I had been shopping - the day was relatively "normal" for me, lots of Braxton Hicks, many painful, except for the low back pain. That was new. By the time I went to bed the pain in my lower back was more than I could handle. When I woke up the pain was gone, but in it's place was the pinched nerve. A very, very pinched nerve. A pinched nerve that left me almost unable to walk.

When it seemed the vomiting had ceased I made my way back to bed but every time I laid down the urge to puke came back. So I spent the rest of the night sitting up in bed, shaking, burning up from a fever, and wondering if I should call the doctor.

This morning when I woke up I felt better, but not great. I called into work and then placed a call into the doctor's office. The nurse first thought maybe a kidney stone, but ruled that out when I said I had no burning when I used the bathroom. Then she asked if maybe the intense pain from my back caused the vomiting? I guess it is possible. For now I'm laid up in bed, instructed to do kick counts (10 in two hours) and alternate between hot and cold for the scatia.

My mom's here watching Keaton and cooking my lunch as I type. After this next round with the heating pad I might go start some laundry because the only coherent thought I had through all of this last night was: I can't go into labor tonight, I don't have the baby's going home clothes washed yet!

10 comments:

Katharine said...

Oh yikes! That sounds awful. Definitely get some rest if you can. Can your mom do the laundry?

Also - when I first read the last paragraph I misread it as saying that Keaton was cooking lunch. All I could think was if he's anything like Alex, that lunch is going to be really, really gross...hee hee.

I hope you feel much better soon!

Em said...

OMG, hon...you poor thing! I was almost falling out of my chair reading this thinking...no, not yet. It's not quite time yet, little one. My goodness, hon. Please take it easy as much as you can today and keep us posted on what the doctor says and how you're doing, okay? I'm praying for you and this little babe, as always.

TeamNee said...

Sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers! Definitely let your mom do anything she wants to for you! Just rest!

samantha said...

Holy crap man!

Keep me posted! Keep that baby cookin' a little longer!!!!!!

Kim's Crafty Apple said...

oh no! How horrible! I wish I could offer you some advice but I have none.

Take care of yourself and baby as best you can!

amanda said...

OMG! Hoping you feel better soon!

Jill said...

OMG...I'm SO sorry...that must've been awful. I had the flu a week before I had Ben, so I remember how wretched it was...all I kept thinking was this can't be good for the baby! Try to get some rest, that should help. So glad your Mom is there to help out and sounds like Collin was a trooper. Keep resting and hopefully this will pass so you can cook the baby a little longer! Lots of prayers your way!

MaLinda said...

I am so sorry you are not feeling well. At least this is a home and not a hotel room in Chicago! ...hang in there!

Ashleigh said...

I remember having the flu right around the same time with Henry...keep your chin up and get that rest! Thanks by the way for the adorable little romper!

CLAREW said...

Uuugh ~ that sounds miserable! I hope you are feeling better :)