Saturday, March 20, 2010

Soul in the Season: Spring 2010

I think we've all been holding our breath around here; trying like mad to enjoy the beautiful spring weather but thinking in the back of our mind there's surely more snow to come. In fact, it was in the forecast for this weekend but so far it has bypassed us. Regardless, since this is officially the first day of spring I thought it was about time I thought about my soul season list and wrote it down here. Since we are nearing the end of March it feels like this season will be shorter than the others, but even if it is the thing that I love most about spring is that it offers so much promise and hope. The things I want to do this season:

* Take Keaton to see the Easter Bunny and color Easter eggs.
* Plant an herb garden (and possibly our vegetable garden, though this might fall into my summer list).
* Spring cleaning project: sort, organize, and clean our closet and dresser.
* Take Keaton to the zoo.
* Buy tulips for the kitchen table.
* Make a carrot cake from scratch.
* Help Collin clean up the flower beds and lawn.

*********
I also thought this might be a good time to review my winter list, which, ummmm, well, didn't go quite as well as I would have liked. When I wrote this list I was just newly pregnant and I forgot how the first trimester kicks me in the butt. I did a few things, but not nearly as many as I would have liked.

* Go snowshoeing. Nope. This didn't happen. I thought about it alot and talked about it often but by the time the weekend rolled around I was so worn out that doing anything more than sitting on the couch seemed like agony.

* Take Keaton to see Santa. I didn't blog about it, but we did take Keaton to see Santa. We went with a friend of mine and her son to a lights festival in Marshfield and Santa was there. It was cold out that night and since we were walking through the display we had Keaton all bundled up. The experience was kind of a non-event as we didn't want to sit around outside any longer than we had to, but at least we got his first picture with Santa.


* Pull Keaton around in a sled, in the snow. Done. And he loved every second of it.

* Spend an afternoon (or at least a few hours) reading a book in front of the fire. I read a chapter or two. Does that count? Probably not. I did enjoy sitting in front of the fire, but instead of reading I was concentrating on not dying. Oh man, that first trimester.

* Make chicken or turkey noodle soup from scratch. I didn't do this either. It's going to have to go back on the list next year because I really, really want to do this.

* Bake Christmas cookies. My winter list has been hanging on the fridge since December and as we did some of these things Collin has been checking them off. He checked this one as complete and I think that was based on the couple batches of peppermint bark I made. I guess I'll go with that. I really wanted to make some other cookies, but again, spending your time not dying is hard work.

* Start/continue some traditions for St. Nick's Day, St. Lucia Day, and Valentine's Day. We did celebrate St. Nick's Day. In fact, St. Nick was very generous this year and brought Keaton two new books and his first nativity set. Taking Baby Jesus out of the manger was his favorite part.


I was out of town over Valentine's Day weekend but when I got home Sunday night we gave Keaton a Valentine's book and indulged on Grammy's heart-shaped cut-out cookies. We didn't celebrate St. Lucia Day but I'm hoping in future years we do since it honors my Swedish heritage.

* Drink hot chocolate with marshmallow's on top. I didn't do this either. But marshmallows are Keaton's favorite treat, so I did eat my fair share of those.

2 comments:

Amy Bomstad said...

I love the nativity set! Where did you find that? Isn't it sad that even a small list can get away from us b/c life is so busy? I always feel that we should slow down but there always seems to be things to do! Guess that will never change.

Don't you just get so excited to think of all the fun the kiddos will have with all the traditions you set? I can't wait.

Keaton is so lucky to have such a reflective, loving mother!

Kate said...

Hey Amy, the nativity set came from One Step Ahead. Most of the little people are puppets and it comes in a carrying case that unzips to set the scene up on. I'm not sure if they have them year-round but I know they have been available for the past couple of years around Christmas time. They also have a really cool wooden set that I can't wait to get Keaton in a couple of years! :)