Tuesday, February 16, 2010

When Bad Days Turn Good

When I looked in the toilet and saw what appeared to be pink water I was confused.

When I wiped and realized the paper was saturated in bright red blood I went numb.

I wiped two more times before it was gone and as I exited the bathroom stall I was shaking. The only thought, running repeatedly through my mind was 'please let the baby be okay.'

I ran into a friend on my way back to my office and in a state of shock I blurted out what had happened. As I waited for a call back from the doctor I saw another friend on Google chat and dropped the bomb again. All I could tell them was there was blood. Alot of blood. Not spotting. Blood. My eyes welled up with tears more than once and I felt like I might loose it. Thankfully the doc's office was good and put a "high alert" on my call. Within a half hour they had my ultrasound booked. I made the appropriate calls and packed up a few things, not knowing if I'd be back.

As I drove my mind was blank. The roads to the clinic are familiar; I drive them all the time, and yet I didn't know where I was. Did I pass the gas station? Was it still coming up? I didn't know but I needed to get water. I finally found the store and all I can remember is that is smelled like corn dogs and I used my debit card to made a $1.19 purchase.

I drove the 2 min. further to the clinic, pulled into a parking spot and started chugging. My bladder needed to be full for the exam. As Collin's truck came whipping into the lot I felt a lump in my throat and tears sprang to my eyes. It was then that it really hit me why we were here.

++++++

Given the circumstances I fully expected the tech to turn the screen away from us, but much to my surprise as I laid on the bed she rotated it so we could see. When she put the wand down I saw the baby move. Or, at least, that's what I thought I saw. Two seconds later she pointed out the heartbeat and I breathed a sigh of relief.

As she took her shots we got to see the baby wiggle under the weight of the wand. He or she was kicking and punching and had a heart rate of 143.

What started out as a bad day turned out to be okay. Good, actually, because we loved being able to see the baby again.


++++++

The tech told us she saw nothing of concern and when the nurse called me with the results she confirmed that. Placenta looks good, cervix is closed. They saw no reason for the bleeding. Thankfully I have my 16-week OB appointment tomorrow, so I'll have a chance to talk to my doc directly and ask questions. For tonight though we feel at peace, the baby was moving and looked good, that's all we could ask for.

15 comments:

Patten Family said...

Holy Crap! That would have 100% sent me into FREAK MODE! I am happy that they gave you the speedy ultrasound. Sorry you had to go through that. Perhaps you were having period-like bleeding. You know, they say some women can still have that during pregnancy. Hang in there - interested to hear what your doc says.

amanda said...

Oh my goodness, Kate! I'm so sorry you had such a scare, but I'm glad everything went well with the ultrasound. As always, I'll say an extra prayer for you tonight! Love ya!

Gail said...

Oh my holy poop!

I'm sorry you had to go through that! And relieved to hear the u/s went well. (I think my eyes are stuck wide open) I'll be praying for a good Dr. visit, too. Hang in!

Em said...

As you know, I'm so relieved, Kate. I'm glad you chose to write this experience down, too. It helps to let out all that tension. The ultrasound picture that you got to take home is precious...look how much that little baby has been growing! Keep us posted on what the OB has to say today. Love you!

Amy Bomstad said...

Kate..I am so sorry that you had to go through that. There is nothing worse than the feelings you go through when something like that happens. Thanks for sharing that story! I went through the same thing with Cayle. I am thinking of you and I hope that your dr. appt goes well. Keep us updated.

Rachel said...

So glad that everything is ok. I can't imagine how scared you were. {{hugs}}

Katharine said...

Oh that must have been SO scary. I'm so glad everything is okay!

Andrew Ryne said...

I can't imagine how you were feeling. My eyes started to well up before I read the good news. Im sure your doctors appt will go great today and you will just have a story to tell your baby about :)Make sure when you get home you put your feet up and enjoy some ice cream!!!

Jill said...

OMG...(wiping away tears)...so glad everything turned out okay! I'm so sorry you had to go through this! I'm sure it made you appreciate the ultrasound that much more! I'm so relieved everything is alright! Thanks for sharing the ultrasound picture...those get me every time! They're so amazing! Hugs and prayers to you all!

Kelly said...

My heart dropped as I was reading the post, and rose up again when I read about the positive ultrasound. I could not image what you went through, and pray you never have to again. Hope the appointment went well.

Dawn said...

Kate, you have no idea how happy I am that your visit ended the way it did. And I'm glad you got an ultrasound, too. I hope that's the last scare this kid gives you!

Aubrey said...

So glad it ended up okay. With all you've been through... Can you imagine being one of those who have a bloody show regularly throughout your pregnancy? How would you know when to panic?

I'm keeping you in my prayers as always. Let me know if you need anything. I know I'm a sucky phone friend, but I'm always only a click away!!!

CaSondra Shim said...

FEWWWWWWWWW! Sigh of RElief for you two! Our prayers continue for Baby Kono 2! Hope all went well yesterday!

Anonymous said...

Wow - very scary, Kate. So glad you were able to get an appointment for an ultrasound so quickly. Baby picture is adorable! Hope your Doctor appointment went well yesterday. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.
~Michele

samantha said...

OH GOD I had no idea! I suck--why didn't you say something when you emailed me??!?!

Okay, I'm glad everything is okay. Whew. It's always nice to get an extra ultrasound in. I mean, it's the least they could do!

:-)