Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Other than two loads of laundry and finding some summer clothes for Keaton, which I HAD to do because we decided today that we're leaving on vacation at 5 pm on FRIDAY night instead of Saturday, I managed to go out to lunch with my boys, devour a 2 lb burrito, browse the candy shop and walk out with not one but TWO truffles, and snap a couple of pictures of Keaton nibbling on his toes. Oh, and watch SYTYCD.
The day was definitely more fun/less work that I had planned but I am SO going to regret this when we come home next Sunday to a dirty house. Oh well. The good news is - one extra day of vacation!! Woo Hoo!
So, I really need to hit the sack because I really need to get up and work out in the morning (see to-do list not done above) but I wanted to talk SYTYCD real quick. I loved last season so much that I was really worried I wouldn't be able to fall in love with the dancers as much as I did last year - kinda like the fear of not loving the 2nd child as much as the first - but I'm happy to say I'm really liking this season already and I don't think I'll have any trouble liking it just as much as last season. Here are a couple of thoughts I had tonight:
* I feel like sometimes I let the judges comments sway me and I wish I wouldn't do that. Case in point: I liked Jeanine & Phillip's (couple 8) tango, I thought it was fun, but after hearing the judges I found myself saying, yeah, they weren't so strong technically. But here's the thing, I don't know the first thing about ballroom dancing, ALL I really care about is whether or not it is fun. Yet, by the time they walked off the stage I was agreeing with the judges.
* I was happy Lil C finally gave props to Brandon tonight (if you remember he was one of the ones that basically told Brandon he didn't him). I thought Brandon and Jeanette (C4) did really well on their disco and I think he deserved those props.
* I'm probably the only person who feels this way and I guess that makes me heartless but if I'm being completely honest I wasn't really all that moved by Asuka & Vitolio's(C5) dance. I really, really wanted to be and I liked the dance just fine, but I just didn't feel it. (ducking as you throw your tomatoes)
* I felt more from Karla & Jonathan's (C7) contemporary routine.
* Keaton was being a crankalotomus during Kayla & Max's (C6) routine and I feel like I missed to much of it to get a sense of whether or not I liked it - can you fill me in, what did you think? Because even though I don't want to play favorites, Kayla is kinda at the top of my girl list.
* In no particular order I voted for: Randi & Evan (C1), Melissa & Ade (C2), Karla & Jonathon (C7)
Can't wait to hear your thoughts!
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Aaaaand another one of Keaton at the end of May.
I'm sure some day I'll look back on this post and shake my head at the naive me of 2009 - but I'm kinda looking forward to the shenanigans of these two.
Monday, June 15, 2009
The addition to our cabin started earlier this month and Collin and his dad had a little more work to do before we head back up there this coming weekend with Kira & Justin and my parents for vacation/project: cabin remodel. Because Kira & I were pregnant, we didn't make our usual trip up this winter so I hadn't been there since last August. I love that place. It is so peaceful and it is one of the few places that I can truly relax. Man, did I miss it.
Here's what construction looked like on Wednesday morning.
Countdown to Vacation: 5 days!!
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Okay, so last night I watched SYTYCD. I kind of don't get it. Will the voting change? What if you only like one of the people? What if your partner sucks and the good one is eliminated? Who competes like that? Do they have partners the entire time? I ended the night more confused than I started. I did like the short couple who danced to Richard Marx...they were cute. And the dance from Slumdog Millionaire. Help me understand...please???
After reading it I thought, yeah, this show is kind of confusing for a SYTYCD newbie, so I thought I’d clear up some questions. Now, I have to warn you, my brain is only working at like, hmmmm, 80% these days, so if I screw anything up, please leave me a “hey, dumbass” message in the comments.
Okay, here’s how the show works:
* The dancers are all paired off and (as you saw last night) each week they get a different genre and choreographer to work with.
* At the end of Wednesday night’s show America gets to vote for their favorite couples.
* On the Thursday “results” show the bottom three couples are identified and then each dancer individually has to “dance for their life.”
* At the end of the Thursday night show the judges pick one guy and one girl (from the bottom three couples) to be sent home.
* It won’t necessarily be a “couple”. If your partner gets sent home, you automatically get paired up with the other remaining dancer.
* If your partner sucks, well, ummm, life pretty much sucks for you. Hopefully the judges will realize it’s your partner bringing you down and spare you.
* If I remember correctly, I think about half way through the season they have a big ‘ol partner change-a-roo. Also, I’m pretty sure they dance in partners right up to about the end of the season.
Okay, hopefully that clears some things up. The thing I personally like about the show is that although America has a say, they don’t have the final vote. In the end the judges make the call about who should go home. I like this because, seriously, we don’t need a Taylor Hicks of dancing. Sorry if you’re a TH fan. I’m just….not.
Anyway, moving on…
What did you think about last night’s show? I have to say, I was impressed. I’m a big ‘ol dork and I actually vote for this show. I usually limit myself to 3 couples and last night I had a really hard time deciding which three to choose. Unfortunately I still don’t know all of the dancer’s names, but here are the ones I liked:
Couple # 1 – the hip hop routine about the couple who couldn’t go to bed while arguing
Couple #4 - Evan & Randi – the short couple; I didn’t really like the song they danced to, but I loved the dance
Couple #6 - Caitlin & her partner – who danced to the Slumdog song
Couple # 9 – the ballet girl and, oh my gosh, I can’t remember anything but that, I don’t remember her partner, I don’t remember the song, but I liked it
Couple # 10 – I think her name was Kayla – they danced a salsa maybe?
At 9 pm when voting started all hell broke loose in my house as my mom arrived and the dog started going nuts and the baby woke up, so, based on my phone log it appears I voted for # 4, #6, & #10. If you voted, who did you vote for? If you didn’t vote, feel free to play along anyway, who would you have voted for??
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Monday, June 8, 2009
Thursday, June 4, 2009
- I have alot of respect for Mia Michaels as a choreographer. I really love her work. BUT, I lost a little respect for her tonight as a person after the way she talked to Brandon. I'm not some mega Brandon fan or anything, I think he is good and all, but I'm not in love yet. But, to tell someone that what he brings to the floor "annoys the shit" out of her - I think that's what she said - I don't know, I just didn't think that was necessary. I'm all for constructive criticism and I'm even all for putting cocky people in their place, but I didn't think that comment was either of those things. I really just found it mean. What did you guys think? Did she rub you the wrong way or am I overreacting? Maybe I am in love with Brandon and I just don't realize it yet???
- Right now I don't really have a "favorite". Kaitlyn Kinney was one of my favs during the auditions but her crying, of the weeping variety, has turned me off a little. I'm glad she made it to the Top 20 and I'm hoping I start liking her again.
- I think Cat Deeley is my favorite reality show host. I just love her; she seems so genuine. (Note: if this is an act, do not tell me, I'd prefer to live in la la land on this one. I mean her accent...it's so cute!)
- I can not wait for next week, for the dancing to finally begin. Auditions and Vegas week are fun and all but it's the music and choreography and the amazing dancing that I'm really looking forward to!
- I'm still upset that Natalie was cut without given the chance to dance for her life. I was really hoping to see her in the Top 20 this year. I hope she auditions again next year.
What thoughts are swirling through your mind right now?
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
This past weekend you turned five months old. This month has been very busy for me at work; pressing deadlines have meant long days, which have resulted in a tired Mama. Finding time to catch my breath has been a challenge. When I first started thinking about writing this letter I didn’t think I was going to have much to update, the days have been moving so quickly that I didn’t even realize how much you have changed and grown in the past month. When I allow myself to sit still, to just take you in, I realize that you are growing by leaps and bounds on almost a daily basis.
You had just started to consistently roll over from your tummy to your back at the beginning of the month. Now, you can roll from your tummy to your bank and from your back to your tummy. The other night I laid you on the floor and before I knew it you were half way across the room. I can’t help but cheer you on each time you turn over, and by the looks of the smile that spreads across your face, I think you’re pretty impressed with yourself as well.
A couple of weeks ago we dug your highchair out and even though you aren’t actually eating out of it yet, we put you in there while we eat. It is so nice to be able to have family dinners together. You sit in between Daddy and me and play with your toys while we can catch up on each other’s day. As you get older I hope you will come to enjoy this time where we come together at the end of the day to talk and laugh as a family.
This month you also started sucking your thumb and recently you found (and fell in love with) your feet. I’m not sure that there is anything cuter then seeing you curl your body up so you can hold on to your little toes. You’re also very close to giggling. You give us that first little hee hee, and I can’t wait until it is a full out laugh.
These big developments have been so much fun, but when I look back at this time in your life it’s the little things that I really want to remember, like the way you take your nuk out of your mouth, spin it around, and chew on the side or the handle. Or how you are reaching out for everything and when you grab hold of something you bring it to your mouth as you ROOOOAAR. Or how you crane your neck to look out the window when we drive down a tree-lined road. You love looking at the trees and we always encourage you to "count the trees, Buddy, count the trees!"
Yes, when I sit down and reflect I realize just how much you’ve grown this month. You are changing so rapidly that it scares me a little. The days go by so quickly. Before I know it you’ll be sitting, and then crawling, and then walking. It is a good reminder that no matter how busy life gets I have to slow it down, I have to take you all in, today, tomorrow, every day, because you are growing so fast.
I can’t wait to see what this next month brings. Every day you bring so much joy to my life and I love you to pieces.