Friday, December 4, 2009

Soul in the Season: Winter 09/10

I have the day off of work today; a vacation day that was meant to be spent in Chicago. Due to an unfortunate turn of events, my trip was canceled and instead we will be heading to the Appleton area in a couple of hours to attend the funeral (or, actually, the celebration of life) of the mother of a friend.

Instead of a day full of rest, relaxation, and regrouping, I've spent the day digging bark out of the baby's mouth, cleaning up the 3rd spilled bowl of dog water this week, and cleaning thrown yogurt, milk, and apple juice off the floor. Don't get me wrong, I love my son with all my heart, but it has been over 11 months since I've had more than a couple of hours to myself. This is was supposed to be my day. Now, the day hasn't been all bad, there has also been lots of dancing to Christmas music, watching the first snowfall through the patio doors, and plenty of Eskimo kisses. But still. My day.

I was planning on posting some pictures this afternoon while the baby napped, but instead I thought my soul might need a little reminder of all the good things to come in the next few months. The things I'd like to do this winter.....
  • Go snowshoeing.
  • Take Keaton to see Santa.
  • Pull Keaton around in a sled, in the snow.
  • Spend an afternoon (or at least a few hours) reading a book in front of the fire.
  • Make chicken or turkey noodle soup from scratch.
  • Bake Christmas cookies.
  • Start/continue some traditions for St. Nicks Day, St. Lucia Day, and Valentine's Day.
  • Drink hot chocolate with marshmallows on top.

What is on your Soul in the Season list for this winter?

3 comments:

Jill said...

Very nice - I love your Soul of the Season idea! We all definitely need a little reminder now and again - thanks!

Amy Bomstad said...

I know what you mean about a day to yourself. Who knew how much life could change so much the day that little ones enter this world?

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend's mom.

B/c of you I have also made a list of things to do during the holiday/winter season. Love it! Also, no one here seems to know what St. Nick's Day is. I celebrated this as a child and want to continue this tradition for Cayle also.

Amy Bomstad said...

By the way...again....thanks for always being so honest in what you write. You don't pretend that having a child is always peaches and cream as other sometimes tend to do. When we had my sister's shower, some of my family that read my blog said that they love following my blog b/c I am very honest about what being a mother is like.

It makes me feel better to know that I am not alone in the daily struggles and the feelings that go on. Sometimes when I say something about being a mother that is brutally honest, people look at me like "did you just say that?"

Keep the honest, hilarious, sentimental and all those other words to describle your posts coming!