Monday, December 14, 2009

Dear Keaton: 11 Months

Dear Keaton,

Two weeks ago you turned 11 months old. Do you know what that means Buddy? In less than a month you are going to be one. One year old. I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around that. I mean you are definitely more a toddler these days than a baby, but still, one whole year old?



This month has been your month of diaper change protest. I might have told you in the past that you liked to put a fight during diaper changes, but nothing could have prepared us for the challenge it would be in November. The screaming, the kicking, the turning, the insisting that you had to sit up in the middle of each and every change; it made the task a two-man job. Daddy usually got the role of entertainer while I got the dirty job. There was more than once when I was battling you alone that I gave up and let you crawl around nakie for awhile. As you cruised around your room going from toy to toy, I sat down and laid my head against the changer, trying to regain my energy before going for round two. Thankfully, like most things, this seems to have been a stage. Though I wouldn’t say all of your diaper changes these days are smooth sailing, on a whole they are going much better then last month.

I told you about your music time with Busha last month. The two of you continue to have this time every afternoon. You sit together in the kitchen, you on Busha’s lap, and once the music starts you both “play the piano;” strumming your fingertips on the counter. A couple of weeks ago we were at church and it was towards the end of the service and you were starting to get squirmy but suddenly the organ started playing and you instantly sat up straight and still, raised your arms and started “playing the piano.” Daddy and I looked at each other and our hearts melted right then and there. About a week after that I was feeding you breakfast and we were listening to Christmas music when a song with heavy piano accompaniment came on the radio and again you raised your arms to start playing. I, however, mistook it for your wild arm flailing that is always combined with an ahh, ahh, ahh. I started ahhing at you and you furrowed your brow and gave me a stern look and if you could talk I know you would have said: Quiet please, I’m playing the piano over here.


My favorite memory from this month happened after I had to go down to Milwaukee for work. I got home so late that night and you and Daddy had to leave so early the next morning that we basically went 24 hours without seeing each other. When I came home the next day from work you and Daddy were playing in the living room. As soon as I shut the door I could hear the little pitter patter of your hands and knees hitting the tile in the entryway. You finally rounded the corner, heading for the kitchen, and as you did you looked up and saw it was me. You let out a squeal of delight and you couldn’t get your body moving fast enough to get to me. I hope you are always that excited to see me. I know I will always be that excited to see you.



Well Stink, it’s be a fun month and we’re looking forward to celebrating your first birthday in just a few short weeks.

Love you so much,
Mama

P.S. Yes, that is the best picture we got of you during your monthly photo shoot. Sitting still is something of the past.

4 comments:

Em said...

I can hardly believe Mr. K is nearly one. HOW did that happen? M y heart melted several times while reading this. His piano playing in church was so precious as was his squealing when you got home that day. That's gotta be the stuff that makes all the tiring, difficult parts worth it, huh? Also, as I mentioned on FB, I love this latest pics.

Kate said...

Wow, I can't believe he's almost one! That story about coming home made me cry. So sweet!

CaSondra Shim said...

I love his pics! And he is so handsome and deffinatly a toddler in his Elk Sweater- oh my- I love you dress him up! I am so excited to squeeze him in a few weeks!

Andrew Ryne said...

I love his pics! He is beginning to look like a little man.Do you have big plans for a first birthday party?