Wednesday, December 30, 2009

1 year ago right now

We were flying high on adrenaline and excitement. In just a few moments your first visitor, Auntie Kira, would come to see you. We were making phone calls to our family and friends to share the big news. The baby is here!! It's a boy!!

The details of that day will forever be etched in my mind:

A 12:30 am wake up call when my water broke...

Telling Daddy at 2 am that I didn't care what we have packed, we have to get in the car RIGHT NOW..

Yelling at Maia on my way out the door (surprisingly, this would be the only yelling I'd do during your birth)...

Gripping the door handle every 3 minutes for the entire 50 minute ride chanting "Oh God, Oh God, Oh God"...

Walking into Labor and Delivery and hunching over as I walked up to the desk, just in time for another contraction....

The nurse telling me to go ahead and try to poop, it might make me feel better....

Walking out of the bathroom with tears in my eyes and looking at the head nurse to tell her, I don't think this is poop....

Hopping up on the table for her to examine me and her first words "Guess what? You're having this baby, and you're having it SOON"...

The look of terror on the resident's face as he stood in the back of the room, not yet scrubbed in, this must have been his first birth....

Laughing with the nurses between each contraction, hoping the doc would please just show up so we could do this thing....

Being told that you had hair....

The moment Doc walked in the door and said "You guys don't mess around, looks like you're getting that tax deduction after all!"....

The cheers from the nurses and your Daddy when it was time to push....

Our head nurse announcing: "You have a.....KEATON!!"


It is surreal to me that you are one whole year old today. Having you in our lives has made this past year simply amazing. You have taught us so much about ourselves and we have been in awe watching you grow and learn new things. You are an awesome little boy and we love you so much.


Happy 1st Birthday, Keaton Bruske!

9 comments:

Em said...

Happy 1st Birthday, Keaton! I love his whirlwind of a birth story, and I hope his special day and birthday party are wonderful. So wish I could be there!

Amy Bomstad said...

Happy Birthday Keaton! Well told story Kate! Isn't it amazing how time flies!

I hope you have a wonderful day!

samantha said...

Happy first birthday little dude!

And congrats on surviving the first year mama :-)

amanda said...

Happy Birthday, Keaton! Can't wait to see you tomorrow!!!!

Gail said...

Happy Birthday Keaton!

(Wow! That went by way too fast!)

Michele said...

Happy 1st, Keaton!!

~Michele

Kate said...

Many, many congratulations and happy birthday to Keaton! It just keeps getting better - have a great year 2!

Anonymous said...

Yeah- you had such an amazing first birthday party too! So glad we made it! I love you Keaton- Love your Aunt and Uncle Shim

Kristin C. said...

the hoping you wouldn't crap in the car as colin drove at a turtles pace on the interstate to the hospital....

AHAHAHAHAAAA! My favorite! Makes me laugh out loud everytime!!