Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thankful Tree

One of the items on my list for this season was to Start a “Thankful” book to be updated annually by our Thanksgiving dinner guests. But then I ran across a tutorial from Better Homes and Gardens for a Thankful Tree and I loved that idea even more. The tree in BH&G called for spray painting it orange and putting glitter on it, which I had planned on doing, but after Collin and I headed out to the back acreage and cut this little guy down, I kinda fell in love with it just as it was. So I decided to leave it au natural. I had Collin cement it into a two liter soda bottle and once it was dried I trimmed the bottle down, wrapped it in brown tissue paper and tied it with twine. On Thanksgiving morning, while Collin was busy hunting and Keaton was napping, I made little cards out of card stock and twine for all of our guests to write on and then hang on the tree. At the end of the evening my brother read all the cards and there were lots of cheers and awws as all of our blessing were listed off one by one.

We had a wonderful long weekend spent with family and friends. I love holidays so much and Thanksgiving is no exception. Although I was a bit frantic on Wednesday trying to get the house clean and the table set and everything prepared for Thursday afternoon, this is the first year that I can say I actually took the time to sit back and reflect on all of our blessings, and wow, did that feel so good.
Not only are we surrounded on a daily basis by amazing and supportive family and friends, we have jobs that are flexible and accommodating to our family and a son who fills our hearts with joy and love. We have so much to look forward to in the coming year. I feel so blessed and so thankful.


Keaton woke up bright and early on Thanksgiving morning as Collin and I were prepping the turkey and getting it in the oven. Once we were done Collin went hunting and the Stink and I spent some time watching the parade.
Guests were scheduled to arrive at noon and because it always takes a little time to get things prepped once everyone gets there, we didn't end up eating until about 2 pm. We tried hard to keep Keaton awake but by 1:45 or so he just couldn't take it any longer and he zonked out. So, our little boy missed his first Thanksgiving dinner. But, when he woke he got to try turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, and more, and he loved it.


The rest of the afternoon the boys played while the adults mingled, napped, and munched on dessert.




We also spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the perfect Christmas card picture. Keaton wasn't really having it but I picked one out of the bunch anyway. Here were a couple that were contenders.


On Saturday we spent some time with Collin's family celebrating his Grandma's birthday. It was so great seeing all of his aunts and uncles and a couple of his cousins. Then we headed over to see his cousin Jenny and our nephew Aiden. Today we went with Papa & Busha to get our Christmas tree. And guess who takes her son to get his first Christmas tree but forgets to bring her camera?? Me! Me! Luckily Busha had hers and hopefully I'll be able to get some copies.
Overall this was just a really amazing weekend. I feel renewed and refreshed as we look at starting a new week. Hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

6 comments:

Em said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend! I love the Thankful Tree idea. And, as always, it looks like you outdid yourself with the meal preparations/decorations. You rock!

It also looks like you got a great Christmas card picture, because the ones you posted were great, too!

CaS Shim said...

Awwww- so sad we missed it- our weekend was great in Chicago though- just wish we were closer!

Aubrey said...

Love it. I had the thankful tree last year, but didn't stick with it. I used to do a thankful for night every Sat or Sun too where the kids had to pick one person to say what they were thankful for about them. I wish I kept up with it. Maybe I'll have to reinstate it.

amanda said...

I've decided I like your family better than mine...sooooo, I'm crashing Thanksgiving next year. Hope that's okay. I'll post my version of Thanksgiving soon...be prepared!

Amy Bomstad said...

I love the "thankful tree" idea...how cute! You are so creative. What a spread and decorative table you had going on! Way to go. Keaton is also looking so grown up these days.

Don't get me wrong...I am like you with the shopping thing. I snapped at some chick who was yelling at everyone in the store... and I might have run into a person or 2 with a cart or package. I don't know why I put myself through that.

Gail said...

I hate when I get here late, after everyone else commented cuz the good stuff is already taken and then I just sound like I'm copying everyone else!

You have such great ideas and talents! All beautiful! I'm happy to hear you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and I'm looking forward the Christmas card to see the picture you did pick! :)