Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Fun - Part 1: Pumpkins

You may recall that a couple of things on my list for this fall included taking Keaton to the pumpkin patch and carving a pumpkin.

The weather this fall did not play nice for us and the pumpkin patch trip that I had envisioned - a sunny autumn day with a breeze just cool enough to make us bundle up in fall coats for a hayride out to the field in search of that perfect pumpkin. Finding said pumpkin and heading back to the barn to celebrate and warm up with hot apple cider. - did not happen. No, our trip to the pumpkin patch went more like this:

Oh my word it's cold out here.
Sorry, Stink, I know you're sleeping, but this will be real quick.
Put on his hat and zip up his coat.
Okay, sit him in front of those pumpkins.
Keaton. Keaton! Look here Buddy. Can you smile for Mama?
Kate, that's not a smile, that's a shiver!
He's freezing!

Baby: Good God, people, what are you thinking bringing me out here? Fine. I'll take another picture, but then can we go back to the car?

Okay, grab a pumpkin.
Which one?
I don't care, just grab one. Or two. Get two.
And a squash.
Okay, let's get the hell out of here.


Ahh well, we tried. So next year; next year I hope to have that ideal pumpkin patch trip.

Thankfully, pumpkin carving went a little better than pumpkin patching. On the Monday before Halloween we spent the evening carving. Keaton loved sitting on the table with his pumpkins.

But he wasn't quite sure what to think when we started cleaning them out.

You want me to do what?

Okay Dad, if you say so....

Oh hey, this isn't half bad.

I wonder what it tastes like?
This is pretty cool.

But if it's okay with you, I'd rather just bang on it like a drum. K?
In the end, I think Keats was satisfied with his pumpkin.

5 comments:

amanda said...

You make me laugh! And Keaton's smile always brightens my day! Too bad the weather wasn't better...it's been pretty crappy here too. I hope he had fun trick-or-treating in Earlville!

Em said...

Cute! I love the play-by-play shots of the carving, and watching Keaton's faces. I'm sorry your pumpkin patch trip wasn't what you envisioned, but I must say, it made for good blogging material. :) Thanks for the laughs, as always.

Amy Bomstad said...

I love these pictures. Usually little ones hate the feeling of the pumpkin guts. Go Keaton...you brave little man! Hope you had fun trick-or-treating!

Andrew Ryne said...

He did much better with the pumpkin than Andrew did. he wouldnt go anywhere near it. I just love his huge smile in every picture!

Anonymous said...

AWWWW - I love it that you let Keaton try to dig into the pumkin! And your funny with the cold weather story- That's WI for you- I would have probably done the same- you want the EXPERIENCE- not the COLD! Love Aunt CaS