Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Keatsday: berry picking addition

It's blackberry season here in Central Wisconsin so this afternoon we boxed up the Stink and headed out to Papa & Busha's (or Ma & Pa Kono's, or Collin's parents). They live on 40 acres of heavily wooded land that is loaded with berries. We took the trail from their house out and quickly found the perfect spot to stop and pick. Keaton did well for the first 20 minutes or so and then he decided he was DONE blackberry picking. I had to wheel him up and down the path, making sure not to stop for more than, oh, about 10 seconds, for a good 10 minutes before he finally zonked out. We picked about 7 or 8 quarts and I'm trying to decide what I want to do with them. I'm planning on freezing enough for a pie later this year and I'm thinking I'd like to try my hand at jelly/jam. There are lots of berries still waiting to be picked so we might head out again in a few days. If anyone has any to-die-for blackberry recipes, please send them our way!




3 comments:

Amy Bomstad said...

Cayle went through that phase too when I had to move him constantly while shopping. I had to just grab...there went the budget shopping!

We are using a Nuby sippy cup but a small 7oz one. We started with a regular size one but he didn't do too well at it.

amanda said...

Yummy! I once had a recipe for blackberry cobbler, but now can't find it. I don't recall it being much different than a peach cobbler though. Ohhhh, peach and blackberry cobbler! You're making me hungry!

Aubrey said...

Amanda, I was gonna suggest a crumble which is so similar to a cobbler!! Awesome. Or make a syrup that you can pour over icecream or pancakes. That's easy since all you need is sugar and the fruit and maybe a little water. But it seems every time I've done it, that the sugar is enough!!