Thursday, July 9, 2009

Dear Keaton: 6 Months

Dear Keaton,

Last week you turned 6 months old. That is ½ a year or, as your Daddy likes to say, 0.5. It blows my mind that we are half way to your 1st birthday. Today we had your 6-month check-up with Dr. T and you weighed in at 15 pounds 6 ounces and were 25 ¾ inches tall. You remain in the 25th percentile, but Dr. T feels you are growing and developing at a great rate – you continue to hold your own, kiddo.

For the past month or so whenever someone asked me how old you were their eyes would always light up when they realized you were nearing the 6 month mark. I’ve heard from so many people that this is their favorite age and now I see why. You are just so much fun to be around these days. If I had to describe you in one word it would be: busy. You are rolling and grabbing and kicking and banging and chewing and bouncing and squealing constantly. And I’m not exaggerating. If you are awake, you are in motion. Last month you were rolling, this month you are rolling with speed. I learned this the hard way when I set you down one evening, turned my back for a second and suddenly heard you bellow – you had rolled right into the hearth. I am so sorry about that Buddy; Mama didn’t realize how fast you could move.

You are so curious these days, wanting to know how everything feels, sounds, and yes, tastes. You love to sit on our laps at the table and bang on it like it is your own personal drum. We have to be careful though, because if there is a plate or glass or silverware within your line of vision, you are grabbing for it. We were at a wedding earlier this month and I set you on my lap and before I could even situate the things around me you had stuck your hand on my prime rib and had au jus and spices covering your face.



Besides being busy, you are also a very happy baby these days, especially if you are getting attention. You have won over many a ladies in the stores with your open mouth grin and more than once people have asked me if you are always this happy. And truthfully, yes, you are. Except when you’re not. And then you are really not. One thing you lack is moderation, and unfortunately Stosch, you can blame your Mama for that little personality trait. In addition to the usuals, like being tired or hungry, one thing that upsets you is when you aren’t getting enough attention. The other night we were sitting at dinner and your Daddy and I were talking as you played in your highchair and it suddenly dawned on you that we were looking at or talking to you, so you started fussing. The minute we turned to you, you were all smiles. Yes, you like to be the center of attention. Looking at your Dad and me, I suppose we shouldn’t have expected any different.

This month you started some new things, including making a new sound. Ba, Ba, Ba, started a few weeks ago. I’m not sure why this one was so much fun for us but your Daddy and I just find it so cute. I can also carry you around perched on my hip now. I’ve been looking forward to this day; toting my baby around on my hip really makes me feel like a Mama. You are also laying your head on our shoulder, something your Daddy couldn’t wait for you start. Your favorite book these days is your color book and your favorite toys include Ellie the elephant, your stacking balls, and your new Taggies rattle.

As I finish typing this you just woke up from your nap and are sitting on my lap banging on the keyboard. Yes, this is so you, my busy, curious, active little Stink.


I love you so much,
Mama

9 comments:

Kelly said...

He is getting so big and more and more adorable. Can't wait to see him in a few weeks!

Kristi said...

Thank you for reminding me just how large my child is. I weighed her yesterday and she was 15.6 pounds on our scale at 3 1/2 months!!!

samantha said...

No WAY is he 6 months old already. No no no I refuse to believe it.

Cute as a button though:-) And tiny OMG! Theo was nineteen pounds at 4 months! Oy! Enjoy your little feather because no matter what, they get HEAVIER :-)

Em said...

Great six months post, Kate, and I love all the new pictures!

Kristin C. said...

ahhhh....savoring these moments with my newborn baby girl...but looking forward to the more alert and active little person to come!!

Love the B&W pic!

amanda said...

Awww...he's so cute! I love his smiles! Hope you have a great weekend!

Amy Bomstad said...

Keaton is so incredibly adorable. He just looks like he is a happy baby. Well, Cayle passed Keaton up in a hurry. He is weighing in at 19.5lbs at 4.5 months!!!

Is he getting ready to crawl? Are you ready?

samuraistrong said...

so, so cute. :) congrats on nearing 6 mos!

samuraistrong said...

fail. on REACHING 6 mos.

may i blame the baby for this one?