Monday, May 11, 2009

Life List # 14

About this time last year I started my Life List: 100 Things to do before I go. I'll be honest with you, although I've thought about it, I haven't revisited this list in awhile and I was afraid when I did I might turn my nose up to some of the things I listed thinking, dude, where did that come from? I could care less if I did that! But, damn, I must say, I did a good job last year because I still want to do every one of these things!

One of the items on my list, #14, was to plant and maintain an herb garden. I was so excited to let you know that I can now cross it off my list, but I kinda forgot how ambitious I was - not only did I say I wanted to plant one, but I said I wanted to maintain it for a full year and only use herbs from that garden. Wowzers! Well, fine, I can't quite cross it off my list yet, but I can say I'm working on #14.

The week before I headed back to work Collin got an itch to start some flats of flowers to add to our rock garden this summer. While we were picking up supplies I saw a little domed herb garden kit. It was calling my name and quickly found its way into our cart. That afternoon we both set to work planting seeds.

3/22/09: Seeds are in, soil is watered....grow herbs grow!

In their new home, the basement window ledgeWe have cilantro, chives, thyme....
....basil, parsley, and marjoram


4/7/09: Holy Shnikes, my seeds are....growing!!

I was so proud of myself when these starting growing. I gave myself a little woot! woot! that's right, I'm an herb growing stud, while doing that little churning butter move. You know the one, right?

And then I did what I always do. I forgot to water them. I suck at growing plants! So last week when I took the little dome cover off I saw more brown than green and more droop then....then what? Stiff? That's funny. I'm so imature I can not say stiff without laughing. Anyway, I dumped some water on them and LOOK!!

5/8/09: Woot! Woot! I'm an herb growing genius! (doin' the butter churn)


Now, if I can just remember to water these guys...I.."m hoping to transplant them and move them outside soon. I'll keep you posted.

Also, I'm working on the next installment of my list.

3 comments:

Em said...

The herb garden is also something I've wanted to do for a long time. I started a small one outside on the deck last year, but it never really took off. Thanks for sharing how you did yours. :)

Gail said...

I wish you luck with your little herbies! I tried a Chia herb garden once. It died. I seem to recall having some issues with remembering to water them! Then again, I have the same issues with all of my other plants. I like to buy them and plant them then I forget to water them and they die. :)

samantha said...

Oooh mad props to you! Butter churn away lady friend!

Can't wait to see the next installment! I've been doing that myself :-)