Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Keaton's Baptism

On February 22nd, following the 10:30 am mass, Keaton received the Sacrament of Baptism. We started planning this day back in October when we attended the required baptism class at church. To say that this was a special day for me is such an understatement. Words do not do justice to how much I looked forward to this occasion, to how important it was for me, for my son, for our family.

My faith journey has had its highs and lows. Although one of my most cherished memories is of the mission trip to West Virginia that I took with a group of friends following my senior year of high school, during my college years my faith took a backseat to my studies. It wasn’t that I didn’t attend church, I did, sporadically, but it was more that I wasn’t quite “feeling” it.

In 2004, after meeting and getting engaged to Collin, I made the decision to convert to Catholicism. It was a terrifying decision and before committing completely I more than once almost backed out. I’m so thankful now that I didn’t. My RCIA class began in September 2004 and I was confirmed at the Easter vigil in March 2005. I learned a lot about the Catholic faith during those six months, but even more importantly my heart was opened, and filled, by the love of Christ.

Since that spring day in 2005 I have moved away from friends in Milwaukee, moved further from my family in Illinois, relocated my job to Wausau, relocated my job a second time to Stevens Point, felt utterly alone in a new place, and struggled to get pregnant. I’ve also received a promotion at work, welcomed my brother and Kira’s move back up here, made some amazing friends with the girls at work, and was blessed with a beautiful son. Through the trials of the last four years I turned to Christ for the strength. During the joys of the last four years I’ve praised Him for his glory. I hold steadfast to the thought that with him I can make it through anything.

So to witness my son, the beloved son that I know was sent to us from Him, be brought into life with Christ, well, I just don’t have the words to express my joy. My excitement. My gratitude.

The service was beautiful and the hymns touched my heart. I held Keaton close during the entire mass. He was such a good boy and slept peacefully in my arms. After mass, as Collin and I stood up there along with Kira & Justin, Keaton’s Godparents, watching Father perform the baptism, my heart was exploding. My perfect little son, who didn't make so much as a peep, has been given an incredible gift.

This occasion was made all the more special because we had so many friends and family, almost 40 people, come over to celebrate the day. It was a great reminder of how incredibly blessed we are. Additionally, Keaton got to wear my family’s baptismal gown. I have looked forward to the day my children were able to wear this gown for as long as I can remember. This gown was first worn by my Great Grandpa in 1889. Keaton is the 12th person in my family to be baptized in this gown. The list includes the following:

Great Great Grandpa Harold Hutton-1889
Great Grandma Phyllis (Hutton) Bender-1919
Great Aunt Cynthia -1949
Great Aunt Candy -1955
Great Uncle Bryan -1958
Cousin Andrea -1973
Cousin MaLinda -1974
Mother Kate -1980
Cousin Emma -2002
Cousin Caden -2004
Cousin Mason -2008
Keaton – 2009

The day was wonderful and one that will forever be etched in my mind. This was in no small part due to the help of some very special friends and family. Amanda, Ember & Drew, Mom & Dad – thank you! Thank you so much for all of your help in getting the food and house ready for this celebration; we couldn’t have done it without you. We are so grateful.
Getting ready for church in the sweater Ember & Gail gave me.

Keaton receiving the Sacrament

My Godparents - Uncle Justin and Auntie Kira

Godfather/Uncle Justin receives the light of Christ

The gown

Bender Family

Konopacki Family

With Father

Keaton's cake

5 comments:

Em said...

We're so glad we could be there for such a special day for your son and your entire family. Love you!

amanda said...

It was an honor! I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Beautifully stated, Kate. Lots of love!

Kate said...

Congratulations! The gown is beautiful, does it have a story?

Kristin C. said...

What a lovely post, Kate. I could feel how beautiful and special the day was all the way down here in IL.

Aubrey said...

Beautiful post Katie! Just love it. Make sure you print some of these and throw them in his baby book...just in case!