Sunday, January 25, 2009

Due Date

Today is January 25th. Today is the day that Baby Kono was supposed to make his/her arrival. But instead of spending the day at the hospital hee hee hee whooing I spent my morning snuggling with my (almost) four week old son and this afternoon I made a run to Target. I haven't been out of the house for a week and it felt so good to see the sun and feel the cold air. When I got in the car the radio station was playing a good song and I cranked up the volume and for the first time I think it hit me - I'm no longer pregnant.

Before Keaton arrived I told a few people that I was afraid I might be a little sad after giving birth because it would mean I was no longer pregnant. But this afternoon I realized I'm not sad at all. I loved being pregnant, and I can't wait to be again, but I'm not sad because I have a little person that lights up my life. And as much as I loved having him in my belly, I love having him here even more. On my way home I called Collin to check-in and when he answered I heard Keat's trademark "ahh, ahh, ahh" and it melted my heart.

I'm glad we went early for a number of reasons - one of which is that I was worried about physically giving birth and watching my due date come closer and closer would have have allowed me the time to really get myself worked up over it. But mostly I'm glad because we just got four more amazing weeks with our beautiful son.

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

What a beautiful post Kate. I'm so glad you are enjoying your time!!

Em said...

Kate, this post was very touching. You sound...so much like a Mama. So very happy. I'm glad you're doing so well and that you have been blessed with a beautiful son!

Kristin C. said...

When I first saw your new post on my blog roll I thought...OHMY GOD?? Another WEEK has gone by?
But then I read about your first solo adventure out of the house as a new mama...and it made me so excited.