Sunday, January 11, 2009

Behind the Name

One of my favorite pastimes is talking baby names. I could discuss this topic until I'm blue in the face. Although Collin may not share my passion quite to its full extent he has always appeased my desire to talk "names". As a result we have names picked out for four potential children, 2 boy names and 2 girl names. First and middle. Are we nuts? Probably, but I still love it!

Back in June 2005 Collin and I had a meeting with our Priest to discuss the details of our August wedding. Since we had just moved up here and I was not yet a member of the church we also took care of that technicality. With my new membership the church gave me a welcome package that included the most recent church directory that included the names and pictures of all its members. When we got home that afternoon I sat down with the directory and started looking at names. Particularly, kids names. As I ran across one that was unique or caught my attention I would yell out to Collin – “What do you think of (fill in the blank)?” I don’t remember any of the names in particular I found in the directory but I do remember about half way through Collin yelled back from the opposite side of the apartment “What do you think of Keaton?” (Pronounced like Michael Keaton or Diane Keaton)

Keaton….hmmm…I let it roll around in my mind and tested it out by whispering it to myself…..Keaton. "Yay! I like that." I yelled back.

And so it was. The name of our first born son would be Keaton. When we told people about our name choice back in 2005 the response was always the same – you’ll change your mind before then. But we didn’t. He was, he always has been, Keaton.

The middle name did change a little along the way. Our original plan was to use Andrew as Keaton’s middle name. Andrew is Collin’s middle name. But around the time we started trying in earnest to conceive I ran a new option by Collin.

“What do you think about using Bruske as a middle name for Keaton?” I asked one day as we were running errands around town. Collin thought about it for a moment and then smiled “Yay” He said. “He’ll be a stud in college.”

See Bruske is pronounced like the beer, Brewski. But we aren’t that awful. Yes, we live in Wisconsin. Yes, people drink a lot of beer up here. But no, we would never name a child after an alcoholic beverage. Bruske is Collin’s mom’s maiden name. Because there were only two girls in her family the family name will not be carried on. We thought this would be a good way to honor the name, to let it be carried on. Also, he’ll be a stud in college.

Touchdown!
My first bath at home
Napping with Daddy
Bright eyes

12 comments:

Em said...

Precious pictures! He looks so tiny in the picture of Collin bathing him...

Michele said...

Love the pics! Keep them coming!!

Kate said...

Thanks girls!

Em, you are so right, sometimes I look at him and think, oh my gosh, he is SO little! We had to go out and buy a couple more outfits because he can't wear 0-3 mo clothes yet, they drown him. So we're in newborn, and even in those I'm rolling sleeves and pant legs.

Jill said...

He's perfect! What a little heartbreaker! Thanks for the pics and no worries on the clothes...he'll get to the 0-3's sooner than you want him too!)

Gail said...

Aw...he's so cute and little, and cute! My almost 8lb Jacob (his middle name is Andrew) drowned in the NB outfit we had to take him home from the hospital! I almost bought some Preemie outfits to send to you after I heard of Keaton's arrival but, I was afraid he'd grow out of them before you got them! Should have followed that instinct!!

Geri said...

Katie, you'll be so surprised how quickly he outgrows those newborn sleepers! Ben was in preemies when we brought him home and then in a flash they were high-waters on him!

These pictures are awesome. I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself during this confusing, yet wonderful time.

I told you you'd be able to do it!! :o)

Kristin C. said...

I'm glad to hear about how you came to name your son...it's so fun to hear stories like yours. Also....it's so crazy that yu're not pregnant anymore and that you have a baby! I think I feel like this because it seems so far away for me now, but I know that it's truly just around the corner! Exciting and Scarey!

Rachel said...

These pictures are great. I can't believe how tiny he is. He's a beautiful baby :-)

Aubrey said...

I have to tell you Darrell and I laughed when we read his middle name. But it fit you guys and we liked it. But Mom told me the scoop and that made it just PERFECT! Pics are adorable. I can't wait to meet him.

Anonymous said...

Kate-
Awwww- I love the pics! And yes Keaton looks so little in the bathing picture. He will grow fast-so enjoy it now! I think it looks like he has red hair on the bottom pic-- just like his Daddy when he was little!
Love Aunty CaS and Uncle Ben

amanda said...

Too cute! I'll have to admit, when I was telling people (I told anyone who would listen!) about Keaton and his unique middle name, I luckily remembered you telling me it was Ma Kono's maiden name. It would be cool either way! He's sooooo precious!

Baby- Names said...

Thanks for sharing your baby's pictures.. He looks great, I love the picture where his daddy taking a bath him. Lovely!