Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Notes from my 31-week appointment

  • Baby Kono is measuring right on target at 31-weeks.
  • Doctor asked to see my ankles and noted a bit of swelling but said that as long as my blood pressure stays down (it was actually a little low) the swelling is okay.
  • Doctor noted that I looked "serious" today - I know I have too much on my mind with getting ready for Thanksgiving.
  • Doctor had a little bit of a difficult time finding the heartbeat at first. Even though I knew there was nothing to worry about, I had just felt the baby kicking, it still scared me a little. When he did finally find it, it was very low at 118-120, which is the lowest it has ever been. I questioned this and he assured me that the baby is probably just in a sleepy/lazy state. Almost immediately after he uttered the words the heartbeat jumped to 160 and he said "opps, we just woke it up!" Sorry little one, didn't mean to scare you like that!
  • Doctor said he thinks the baby is head down
  • I was referred to a dermatologist to get a couple of moles checked out. There is one in particular that has been bothering me, but I just haven't had the time to do anything about it. I go in on Feb. 4th.
  • On my way out of the office I ran into Kira and Justin, who were waiting to be called in for their appointment. As I got in the car I couldn't help but think 1) I'm so thankful they live up here and 2) I'm so excited to have our children grow up together.

6 comments:

kjbender said...

I'm so glad we live close to you and Collin! We are so happy that life had this plan for us and that our kids will get to grow up together! Speaking of kids, baby bender has taken to turning sideways once and awhile so s/he's head is PUSHING against the left side of my uterus! It feels s/he is trying to encourage my belly to grow a little faster...I can just hear it "COME ON MOM, I NEED SOME ROOM IN HERE!". =)

BJohnsons in the square said...

Speaking from almost daily heartrate checks for the last couple weeks - take a bottle of apple juice and drink it just before they do the rate checks if you don't want any drama. Kennedy would wake up instantly and her rate would go from 120's to 160's.

Kate said...

Kira - oh, I can so relate. Sometimes I think Baby Kono is realy pissed off about the lack of space. And it's my kid so we all know she s/he is saying....dude, WTF?

Ryan - Thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to remember this for next time!

Geri said...

Katie, Ben was always at the low end of the heartrate scale. It made me nervous every time I went, but my doctor always said, "it's fine...it's just chillin' in there!" I know that doesn't really make you feel better, but know that others of us have been there!

Em said...

Phew, I'm glad to hear the lower heart rate just meant little one was probably sleeping! And definitely, what a blessing to be living close to Justin and Kira, and to have the cousins grow up together.

Good luck with your Thanksgiving preparations, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Aubrey said...

I, like Em, am hoping you have a RELAXING and thanks filled Thanksgiving. You deserve a good soak in the tub too.

I think it will be so great for Baby Madden and Baby Bender to grow up so close to each other. It will be such fun for all of you to start family traditions that everyone will be able to take part in. Now to just get "Grandmas/Grandpas Bender and Essmann" up there.