Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Letter to the Baby

Dear Little One,

Today is the 1st of October, which means we have less than 4 months until we get to meet you. At the beginning of our pregnancy January felt so, so far away and now here we are, four months to go with a to-do list a mile long. Our goal for this coming month is to get your nursery painted.

Life has been busy and a bit stressful lately; last week in particular was a difficult one for your mama. Emotionally, physically, mentally, I was spent. Work is hectic right now and there is no sign of it letting up before the end of the year. One evening last week as your daddy and I sat at the dinner table I looked across at him with tears in my eyes and I told him that I hope the next few months aren’t as difficult as this week. I felt so down, so defeated, and getting out of the slump seemed nearly impossible. I don’t think it was any coincidence that that same evening I sat on the couch to relax and you started kicking. And I mean kicking. My tummy was moving all around and your daddy got to feel you kick for the first time. The tears that I had earlier in the night were gone and in their place was laughter as we watched you tumble around. You have been kicking and turning furiously since last week and each time you move I put my hand on my belly to feel you. I don’t want to miss a single movement.

Today we had our 23 week appointment and the doctor said you are growing nicely and measuring on target. He let your daddy be his assistant, having him find your heartbeat on the Doppler. As soon as he put the wand on my belly we heard your little heart thump, thump, thumping away at 162 beats per minute. I will never tire of hearing your heartbeat.

Even though we have 17 weeks left until we get to officially meet you, you are already filling our lives with joy. You turn the bad days into good ones and give me reason to keep trudging on. I love you little one, you are already the light of my life.

Love,
Mama

6 comments:

amanda said...

Wow...how amazing! Sorry work has been so hectic. Hang it there...it always gets better (of course not in a timely manner!) I'm so excited to see you guys and meet Baby Kono. Love and miss you!

Aubrey said...

Beautiful. Remember to keep track of the big movements in the middle of the night because that is most likely when it will be waking up to eat. Life is so stressful and unpredictible, but you are right in knowing that now it will never be the same. Keep on keeping girly!

Em said...

This post was touching and emotional in so many ways. I will pray that your stress level is lessened. In the meantime, keep savoring the joy that comes from growing that wonderful person inside of you.

Gail said...

so sweet and how time flies! I'm sorry everything is so stressful right now but hey - you have some time away from that work junk coming to you soon to focus on 'better' stresses - like lack of sleep, screaming poo diapers, hitting, throwing, biting, not eating, not talking, touching girls butts at day-care, saving for college, etc. :)

Hang in there!

Michele said...

How sweet, Kate! I hope you have a better week. I also hope you have much less stress ahead. Try to take it easy and get some rest. Remember, the to do list will get done.
Love and Miss you!
~Michele

April said...

That was soo touching. I had tears in my eyes as I was reading it. I hope things lighten up for you and you can begin to see the end in sight. I love you and can't wait to see you soon! I want to feel that baby kick!