Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Incontinence and heartburn....

.......the not so glamorous side effects of pregnancy.

There used to be a time when our Friday night norm consisted of going out to dinner and drinks after work and rolling into bed around midnight. Sometimes later. It's hard to remember those days now. Our new "norm" is to eat dinner as soon as we get home and then veg in front of the tv for the remainder of the night. Friday nights typically end now around 9:30 or 10 pm.

This past Friday we stayed up late...a whopping 10:30!! Can you believe it? Nothing about the night was out of the ordinary. My routine was the same as it is every night; wash my face, brush my teeth, take my supplements, and go to bed. So when I woke up at midnight, only an hour and a half after we had gone to sleep, soaking wet, I was alarmed. I shook Collin awake, Collin, Collin, get up, I just peed the bed! I was so confused by the whole thing...how did this happen? I always wake up at least 2 times a night to use the bathroom, not once have I been worried about wetting the bed. As I stood there looking at the sheets a frightening thought came over me, what if my water broke? Collin was pretty convinced it was pee and even suggested that maybe it was the dog (he's so nice like that, once after I gained weight and was complaining about how none of my pants fit he assured me it wasn't that I had gained weight, I must have shrunk them in the dryer), but I couldn't shake the thought that what if it isn't? I looked in my "What to Expect" book which noted that if you are laying down when your water broke it could be a gush, kinda like this. I called my mom and we decided I should call the doctor.

It happened to be my own doctor on call that night and after telling him what happened he said I needed to come in to be tested. At 12:30 am we got in the car and drove the 40 minutes north to the hospital. On the positive side, I got to see the birthing center, well, at least the triage room, which I was very impressed with. They hooked me up to the fetal monitor and the moment I heard that little thump thump, thump thump, relieve flushed over me. For two hours the nurse watched for any signs of contractions and ran the amnisure test to determine if it was my water.

Although they found I have a slight UTI, thankfully the amnisure test came back negative. I never thought I'd say this, but by God am I happy to find out that I peed the bed!!

I still don't have any answers as to why it happened. I had some flu symptoms over the weekend and all I can surmise is maybe this combined with pressure from the baby moving caused it? I don't know. I'm just hoping this isn't going to be a reoccurring event.

In addition to the incontinence, yesterday I started with the heartburn. People have been asking me for awhile if I've had any heartburn and I've been so happy to say NO! This has been awesome because before I was pregnant I dealt with heartburn all the time and can I just say that I really don't enjoy it. But yesterday it started with no warning at all. And guess what? I still really don't like it! I tried eating my lunch (1/2 a sandwich at a time) over a 2 hour period today and that helped, but I could still feel it.

In some more fun, positive news, I can tell Baby Madden (as we are now affectionately calling him/her) is getting longer. A couple of times today I could feel pushing on opposite sides of my belly at the same time. I can picture Madden in there with a look of frustration on his/her face has s/he tries desperately to stretch out and thinks...hey peeps, what's up with the cramped space, I thought I requested the luxury suite!

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

I love this story. Such a Kate story. I'm relieved for you too that it's just incontinence. And let's face it, that baby is controlling your body right now. Who knows how or why, it just did happen. As for the heartburn, call your doc, but they were almost relieved when I had that so I could take calcium rich Tums. They were a ginormous help so I bought the industrial size at Sams. I'll be surprised if this baby doesn't have a head full of hair.

Wait until the baby is really cramped and starts digging in your ribs. It's all a trial of patience to prepare you for whats to come.

Em said...

I'm glad you wrote this post about what happened Friday night, so that you can look back and read it later. I'm happier, though, that you and Baby Madden are doing just fine.

Gail said...

I'm sorry but, I did laugh out loud when I read this. I couldn't help it. I had a feeling when I read the title that it wasn't serious and I am very glad that feeling rang true!