Saturday, October 25, 2008

5 years ago today*....(part 3)

(Click here for Part 1 and Part2)

It had been five weeks since our first date, six and a half since we meet, and life was good. No, no, that is an understatement, life was amazing; and I felt more like myself in those five weeks then I had felt in probably 2 years. We spent every weekend and as many week nights as we could together, meeting each others friends, going for drinks or dinner, and attending Admirals hockey games. We were having fun and it felt like I was wearing a permanent smile.

Even though our relationship was in its infancy, there was very much a seriousness to it. We both felt it from the very beginning and when we found ourselves alone the conversations always turned to the future. We talked about what we wanted for our lives and where we saw ourselves in 2, 5, 10+ years. They were the types of conversations that most people would avoid with a 10-foot pole, and for good reason. Talks like this could destroy a relationship, even if it had potential. But oddly, these talks didn’t scare us, in fact, they had the opposite effect, they were very calming.

On Friday, October 24, 2003 I called Collin from work and asked if he’d be interested in ditching our normal Friday night plans to go to a Milwaukee Bucks game. I had four tickets and told him to ask a couple of friends. By 7:00 that night we had piled into the car with Fluff & Mullins (the same two that were with Collin the night we met) and were on our way to the game. It was raining out so we ran as quickly as we could into the Bradley Center trying to avoid getting drenched. I hadn’t been to many Bucks games so it was particularly memorable for me.

Following the game we found ourselves at Club Brady. The bar was busy and what I remember most about that night was standing there with Collin, looking into his eyes as we talked and feeling like we were the only two in the room. He had this effect on me often in public. When I looked at him, when I held his hand, everything else around me seemed to disappear and it was just us. In those moments I felt like I could stand there, be there, forever and never get tired of it.

It had only been six weeks, but in that short amount of time I was certain of one thing. I wanted to spend the rest of my days with this man. So when we got home that night and he took me in his arms and asked me the one question that every girl dreams to hear:

“Will you marry me?”

I did not hesitate for even a second. “Yes. Yes, I will.”

Since it had only been six weeks we hadn’t yet met each other’s families. It was a whirlwind of a weekend, but one I will never, ever forget. That night we called our parents to tell them the news. Of course they were a bit shocked, but also very supportive. On Saturday morning Collin’s parents packed the car, drove two hours to Madison to pick up his sister, and another hour and a half to Milwaukee to help us celebrate. I should have been nervous about this meeting and I’m sure a part of me was, but mostly I was just excited. Everything about this felt right.

On Sunday we drove two and half hours south to have dinner at my parent’s house. We walked in the door and my parents were in the kitchen. My mom was smiling when she asked “are you guys sure about this?” To this day my Mom will tell you about Collin’s answer. It was only two words, but those two words set her completely at ease.

“We’re positive.”

It’s been five years; we’ve had some good times and some hard times, but when I look at Collin there is one thing that hasn't changed, I’m still positive.

* Okay, technically it was 5 years ago yesterday

5 comments:

Em said...

I liked this story. :) Maybe someday you'll have to write a sequel to your love story, including Baby Kono.

When you guys got engaged, it was pretty surreal that I never really second-guessed it happening so soon. Even though I wouldn't meet Collin until later on, there was something in your voice when you talked about him that was so different than in the past. You seemed so at ease and so sure of yourself--of him, and I think from that I knew that this was "it."

Love you both!

amanda said...

Still my favorite part of the story, though I am upset to know that Fluff and Mullins beat me out for Bucks tickets! Just kidding. And your trip out of town protected you from the "is she crazy???" phone calls I got! For the record, I called it...from day one! Congrats!

Kristin C. said...

That's CRAZY!! 6 weeks! I love this story!

While Trevor and I knew from the first night we met that we were going to get married, we didn't get engaged until 1 1/2 years later. You two are ballsy....congrats on all your years of love and life together!

Gail said...

What a great story! I'm looking forward to reading the future of it!

Edna always told me "when you meet the right one, you'll know."

I hate it when my mother is right!

Congratulations!

Buck said...

Kate! I also remember this story very well. I remember you calling me and telling me you were engaged to this new guy you started dating. Now for as long as you have been my sister, you have never rushed into any decision you were not confident was the right one. So even though I had not met Collin yet, I knew he would be perfect for you. The only thing I knew about him was he was from Point and was a Deer Hunter. Boom!, well ya sold me with that statement alone. When I saw you guys together, it was obvious why you said yes immediately. Collin.....your the best brother I never had. Luv you guys!!! p.s. Remember when you guys came to Point for the first time and took Wapp and me out for dinner at Applebee's and I ripped ass in Collin's truck...Ha!!! He had to know right away what he was getting into