Friday, September 19, 2008

5 years ago today....(part 2)

(Part one can be found here.)

On the Thursday morning following our meeting I woke up feeling jubilant. It had been a long time since I had woken up even feeling happy so this elation was not lost on me. I knew my life had just changed, and even though I had no idea where all of this would lead, life felt so good. Though I knew very little about him, I could not stop talking about this sun-kissed man that I had just met.

That evening as I was settling into our apartment for the night I realized I had a missed called from an unfamiliar number. A quick check in my wallet and my heart was fluttering; it was him. He called. I listened to this message, hit save, and listened to it again. I would do this often over the next several days; listen to this message just to hear his voice.

Although we wouldn’t see each other again for a full week, we spoke a few times on the phone and by the following Wednesday, when we planned to meet at the same time, same place, I was very anxious. Despite the fact that I was excited and eager to see him again, I’m shy, and when I walked in and saw him sitting there with his friends, I clamed up. I could feel the uneasiness settling in between us and I wasn’t sure what to do. Thankfully I had friends there to make those obligatory bathroom runs with, which of course involve much more than simply using the bathroom, us girls, we like to talk, and they calmed me down. By the time the night ended he had asked me out on a date. An official date. Our first date.

On Friday, September 19, 2003 I rushed home from work to get ready. I had bought a new outfit for the occasion and wanted to look my very best. He drove the 30 minutes from the East side to pick me up and then we drove back towards his house for dinner at a small Sicilian restaurant.

On the way to dinner the conversation flowed and I felt like I had known him my entire life. We were less than a 30 minutes into our first date when this feeling washed over me. I know it sounds nuts; it is nuts, but during that car ride I knew that I was sitting next to the man that I would someday marry.

To be continued……

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Warm fuzzies are flowing over me. I love this story. And I totally know that feeling of instant "This is the one I'll marry!"

Em said...

I know that feeling, too. I never really believed in it...but when it happens, you just know...like "they" say...

amanda said...

I'm so jealous. You forget to mention that just weeks before this was "I'm never going to find anyone..." Blah, blah, blah. Though it is also my favorite story, I'm still jealous...and waiting! You deserved it, though. Maybe I need to find my test-of-patience before I get a catch too? Wish me luck!