Saturday, July 19, 2008

Saturday, May 24, 2008

It’s 7 a.m., and I should be sleeping; it is, after all, the first day of a long 3-day weekend, but instead, I’m tossing and turning, nervous and excited, because I know today is the day. Collin lies next to me breathing deeply and the dog is snoring at my feet, both oblivious to the fact that I’ve been up for almost a half hour. At 7:15, after dozing off and having yet another dream about what is to come, I decide it is time. My heart is racing, and I need to just do this already.

I sneak out of bed, gently close the bathroom door, and like a mouse I rummage around in the cabinet, trying to be as quiet as possible so as not to disrupt those sleeping in the next room. If the news is good, I have a grand plan as to how I want to tell Collin. If the news is bad, I’m going to need a moment to collect myself before I head back to bed.

I quietly unwrap the package, say a quick prayer, and take the test. After I lay the test on the counter, I force myself to look away and I put my head in my hands. I know that I will not leave this room without knowing the truth. I know that when I look up in 60, 90 seconds I will have my answer. I’m deathly afraid. I rock back and forth asking God to give me the strength to get through this.

60 seconds in, I’m too overcome with hope and excitement that I put the worry aside and look up. Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God, two lines!!!!! I jump up, grab the test and examine it closer. Holy Shit, YES!!!! I pump my fist in the air and praise God. Thank you Lord. Thank you Mary. Thank you Saint Anne. I picture God looking down at me, a smile across his face, a giggle in his throat – he has made this child of his very, very happy.

I collect myself a tad, lean against the counter, and look into the mirror – you’re going to be a mother. This is happiest moment of my life.

My original plan in sharing the news with Collin involved making a run into town in the morning, but I grossly underestimated my excitement and there was NO WAY I could keep this a secret for even 5 more minutes. So quickly, I came up with plan B, which involved a sleeper I had bought 3 years ago for a friend that was too small for her baby. On it were two bears and the words “Daddy & Me.”

After finding the sleeper in the back of the spare bedroom closet, I creep back into our room. As soon as I slide open the door the dog pops her head up to look at me. “Hey Collin” I whisper…..he half opens his eyes and groggily says “yeah” – I showed him the sleeper and ask if he remembers it. I’m not sure I wait for an answer before I belt out “Maybe we can use it at the end of January, I’m Pregnant!!”

Baby Kono is due January 27th; we are so grateful for all of your thoughts and prayers over these long, hard months.

Here’s his/her first picture, taken on June 24th at 9 weeks. We are so in love.

16 comments:

Andrew Ryne Glass said...

Congratulations! Aaron & I are so happy for you :) We will be praying to keep you both healthy & strong during this amazing time in your life!

Gail said...

Oh, Kate! Congratulations!!! I am so, so, SO, happy for you! I'm, very much, looking forward to following your journey through pregnancy and being a mom!

I, will also be praying to keep you both healthy and strong.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Kate said...

Oh yay oh yay oh YAY!!! I had a funny feeling when I saw that you posted that this might be The Post. I am SO HAPPY for you - congratulations! Baby already looks wonderful and beautiful and perfect.

I am so happy for you, I can't even say. OH YAY!!!

Michele said...

Congratulations you guys!! Brent and I are so happy for you! I hope you are feeling well. Take care of yourselves and Baby Kono! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

~Michele

Dawn said...

Kate, I am so incredibly happy for you. Wishing you a safe and healthy and super happy 9 months.

Em said...

Congratulations Kate and Collin! We are so happy for you two and can't wait to witness you going through this exciting time in your lives. I look forward to reading all of your updates, now that it's "public". :) Love you tons!
-Em and Drew

Jess said...

Congratulations, Kate! Take care! :-)

Aubrey said...

Kate and Collin

I'm so excited for you guys. I'm relieved to see this post since I haven't heard from you in a few days and I was getting a bit worried. I'm praying for you every day. I also pray that God sends you AMAZING patience NOW for what is to come. Hah, Hah.

May God continue to bless you all.

Tiffany Brubaker Photography said...

Congratulations! Enjoy this time.

Rachel said...

What great news! Congrats Kate! I can't wait to follow your exciting new journey.

April & Josh said...

We are so happy that everything worked out just as it should!! I can't wait to see you! You definitely have to post updates frequently and I defintely want to see pictures of you along the way as well! We love you guys!

Congratulations!!

amanda said...

Glad to see that my prayers were at least getting up there...I was a bit worried as I haven't been the best little Lutheran lately. Congrats! Words cannot express how happy I am for the both of you. I, like you, have been waiting for this day for a long time...I told you it would happen ;). Lots of love to all THREE of you! Wishing you all the best in the months to come!

Kristin C. said...

Can we get a WHOOP! WHOOP!
Holy crap! You are pregnant! I KNEW IT. I used my FIB powers and sensed your pregnancy from here.

Congratulations, that is so flippin awesome! I am SO looking forward to reading about your journey and seeing before and after pictures of your nursery (hint, hint ;-)

XOXOX

Tosha said...

Ohhh Katie this is so great, I'm so very very excited for you two. We'll be keeping you, baby kono, and Collin in our prayers. This is awesome, you've got tons of people for advice, but if you need anything just let me know. Miss you tons,and can't wait to meet your bundle of joy. Congrats,Congrats,Congrats. Tosha

Kate said...

Thank you for all of your kind words. You guys are seriously the greatest!

Becky Searls said...

Congrats, Kate!!