Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Weekend Travels

Although it feels like light years ago now (my word, is it seriously already Wednesday??), this past weekend kicked off our 2008 "summer schedule". It seems like it starts earlier and earlier each year. At dinner last Friday night our friend was joking about how we spend 95% of our summer weekends traveling to weddings/baptisms/birthday parties/graduations/bar mitzvahs/etc./etc. He was half joking....we've never been to a bar mitzvah.

This past weekend we had a 1st Communion to attend and since we were going to be out and about anyway, we decided to make a weekend of it and head south first to visit some family and friends.

We met April & Josh for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory and it was so delicious I could not stop thinking about it the rest of the weekend and was SO happy to get home on Sunday evening so I could dig into my left overs. The only thing better than the food was the company. I seriously could have sat there all day long talking; it has been so long since we've been together, just the 4 of us. But, the evil eye we were getting from our waitress said we better get our butts in gear. Dude, can't you see I'm still sipping my coffee? By the way, I am addicted to coffee after a good meal these days...I have no idea where that came from but when the waitress asks dessert or coffee? I'm all over the coffee. Actually, I'd like some right now....

We then headed over to my cousins to meet our newest nephew. (okay, technically he is not our nephew, he's our second cousin, but that sounds so dumb and it is so much easier to say niece and nephew, so I'm going to say it. I could clarify with pseudo-nephew, but that's alot of letters. )

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, we headed over to Andrea & Clint's to see the kids and meet Baby M.





I realize I may be a partial, but is he not precious? He slept almost the entire time we were there and I couldn't get enough of him. M. is currently weighing in at just a over 8 lbs and I couldn't get over how tiny he seemed. It's been almost a year since I've been around a baby this small; I wanted to gobble up his wee little hands. Oh, so cute!

After our visit we headed a couple of hours north to spend time with Collin's cousin Jenny and her family. On Sunday morning our nephew, I., (again, no technicalities here) received his 1st Communion. I will never forget the look on his face as he climbed back into the pew and gave his Uncle Marc a knuckle knock. At just 8 years old he was filled with such pride and joy, and it illuminated on his face. I want to bottle up his innocence and enthusiasm. We can learn so much from children; their feelings are so pure, so true. I mean, when was the last time you smiled so unabashedly?

I always love being with Jenny's family. She has 5 siblings who collectively have 8 children all very close in age. When they are all together there is always so much commotion and every time we are with them I'm reminded of why I would love to have a big family some day.
The other highlight of the weekend was seeing these blue eyes. This is our nephew A. Isn't he a cutie?



On a completely unrelated note, yesterday morning at 7:30, as we were getting ready to walk out the door for work, Maia decided it would be a good time to find a dead carcus out in the woods and roll in it. She had it ALL over her and proceeded to come in the house and roll all over our bed! She must have also eaten it because in the afternoon she puked in the dining room, saturating both the rug and the curtain. Collin tried giving her a bath last night, but she was scared to death to get in the tub and he couldn't get all the smell out. So tonight she went to Petco for a bath. And now our puppy smells like a puppy again, which might not sound too appetizing to you, but let me tell you, it's much better than laying in bed with a port-a-john. (Yes, our 105 lb dog still sleeps in our bed...I know, you don't even have to say it....)

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Ha! That's my first thought. The first time I gave Millie a bath I thought "Oh yeah, that's why people have little dogs." She was so much easier than Mojo ever was. And, she's too small to roll in much of a carcass.

I'd love an e-mail with Andrea's baby's name. I'm intrigued. He is indeed beautiful. So serene. I miss that calm of a new baby, but there is a ton that goes w/ that calmness that is so opposite, that I'm okay with it.

Coffee after dinner, first thing in the morning, in the afternoon, after sex (okay who am I kinding??) but I love coffee anytime. God bless it!

The only thing that makes me happy with you saying you're in Summer mode is that means you're coming here soon. But I don't want summer yet, bring on spring for a good long time please!

Em said...

Baby M. is so tiny and absolutely adorable. I can completely understand why you couldn't get enough of him. :) I am also a "coffee all the time" girl. I've been trying to cut back lately, but it's so hard! As Aubrey said, God Bless that elixir of life. I have a caffeine headache right now just thinking about it. ;) Also, sorry to hear you had to go with the PetCo bath after all. Bathing large dogs is just a PAR-TAY, let me tell you... :)

Aubrey said...

Em, you need to change your profile picture with one of you new hair cut photos!! But I do love the photo you have now...but the new do is splendiferous!