Saturday, April 12, 2008

Two reminders that people are good

1) Awww, you guys....awhile back I told you that I had an appointment with a new doctor on April 4th and all week long you have been calling and emailing and asking how it went. Your care and concern has floored me and I am once again reminded how lucky I am to have such great family and friends! The appointment went really really well and when we get back from our first wedding of the season tomorrow, I'll tell you all about it!

2) I was south of Oshkosh last night when Kira told me that it was snowing pretty heavily at home. I got all the way to Amherst, less than 20 minutes from our house, before I saw any signs of it. Gradually the sprinkles of rain turned to sleet and then to big white flakes. The first time my car fishtailed I knew I better slow down; it was obviously slicker than I thought. The second time it happened, within an instant, I knew it was too late. My car slid across the lanes, spun backwards, and careened into the ditch. It all happened within seconds and as I gripped the steering wheel and braced myself I was certain that the I was going to roll. Instead, about half way down my tires hit a groove and it spun me back around. The trip felt so long that I was afraid when I opened my eyes I was going to have crossed the median and ended up on the other side of the highway, facing oncoming traffic. Instead, luckily, I hit a soft spot and lurched to a stop, safely, in a foot of mud, in the very center of the median. My brother was on duty and came immediately, tow truck in hand. As I waited a nice gentleman in a white truck pulled up to make sure I was okay and had a phone to call help. People are so good.

They pulled me out pretty easily and as I sat in the back of the squad listening to all of the reports of rolled cars and people in the ditches I thanked God he kept me safe and thanked him for the policemen and tow truck drivers, who venture out in these awful and dangerous conditions simply to help others in need.

3 comments:

Em said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you're alright! That is very scary... :( Thank goodness for good people and the Man Upstairs looking down on you, keeping you safe.

Aubrey said...

Dang it Kate, I'm all weepy. You are being watched. I'm glad your appt went well. Looking forward to hearing about it. Glad that Justin could be there with you after that scary slide. I did that in my Sunfire when Darrell and I first dated and still to this day, I have a hard time in the rain (mine was hydroplaning). Thank goodness for people huh. One point for humanity.

Michele said...

I'm so, so glad you're okay. How terrifying!