Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Doctor Appointment Recap

When I walked into the clinic a week and a half ago something instantly told me that things were going to go well. I'm not sure if it was because the sun was shining and it was feeling like spring, or if it was because the clinic was separate from the hospital (unlike my last doctor's office), or if it was because the receptionist was exceptionally nice, but I had a good feeling. That of course didn't stop me from almost coming to tears as I looked at the parenting magazines and the nerves set it.

After the nurse called us back and took my blood pressure she left with a smile saying the doctor would be right in. That's when Collin noticed the stirrups and started to panic. "You don't have to get in those, do you??" I laughed, but honestly I didn't know. The last time I did, so I really wasn't sure what to expect.

A couple of minutes later Dr. A walked in and immediately I knew I was going to like him. He asked why I was there and I said I was looking for a second opinion because I was frustrated with my current doctor. Then I told him that I hadn't had a period since August. Since August? He asked. We need to give you an ovulation pill. And that's when I wanted to jump up and throw my arms around him. That is exactly what I was hoping he'd say and it happened so easily - no prodding, no begging, no asking of questions. Within 45 seconds of being there my hopes were coming true.

But it gets better....he has a plan for us for the next four months and I'm so excited because I finally feel like we are doing something! Like we might actually make some progress.

So the evening of my appointment I started taking my second round of progesterone. I took this back in January - it is taken to induce a period. I'm now done with my prescription and sitting here twiddling my thumbs hoping I'll actually start in the next couple of days. Once I start, on CD5 I'll starting taking Clomid - which is used to induce ovulation. For those that read Ember you may be thinking...hmmm...this all sounds so familiar. You would be right.

My first round of Clomid will be 50 milligrams. If it doesn't work this month, next month we'll step up to 100mg, followed by 150 mg.

If in four months we are not yet pregnant, we'll step back and do some additional testing. Specifically, a sperm analysis and dye test, where they check to make sure my tubes aren't blocked. I shouldn't even say this, I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but because of my surgery for endo 5 1/2 years ago I've always been worried about my tubes being blocked. So the thought of that test scares me a little.

But, we're not going to worry about that right now. Right now I'm looking forward to the next four months. I'm looking forward to maybe, just maybe, getting a chance to actually try. And that makes me really excited!

I never thought I'd be saying this, but I CAN. NOT. WAIT. for my period to start!

5 comments:

Em said...

Hahaha...isn't it funny how getting or not getting our period can make us either excited or completely devastated? I, too, hope your period starts very soon, so that you can start Clomid, get to ovulating, and get to tryin'. :) I am praying for you guys, crossing fingers, toes, everything. I was so happy when you first told me about this second-opinion doctor. I'm glad he knows his stuff and is correcting the first thing that needs to be corrected, then will explore other possibilities later, if this doesn't work.

BTW, I know I already mentioned this, but Collin, if you're reading this...be ye not afraid of the stirrups! I have lost count of how many times Drew has witnessed that spectacle. It starts to feel...dare I say...normal? Nah, I'd never say that. :)

Again, sending lots of baby dust your way!

Rachel said...

Kate, I'm praying for your period! I hope to hear more about how things are progressing, if you are comfortable sharing here.

Re: stirrups--Jason loves it when he's there when I have an exam. He can't understand why I am not as excited. Of course, my disgustingly hot practitioner didn't help that...

I hope you both have the opportunity to spend lots of time in stirrups pushing out a baby very soon.

Gail said...

I am so so so so so happy for you! I'm glad you have a plan. I always had my period on my own so I missed that part but I'm still hoping yours starts soon. Ha! I just remembered driving to the hospital lab in January with a test tube of spermies between my legs to keep them warm knowing they had 1/2 an hour to live and I had a 1/2 hr. drive. I'm very excited for you (seems an odd word) to get started with all of this. Yes, Em is right, sadly, the stirrups do begin to seem normal - but I am told, it's nothing compared to once you are pregnant. I think it was my sister that said, you get to the point where you walk into the Dr. office, drop your pants and put your feet in the stirrups, for an earache!

I'm thinking of you, praying for you, and crossing everything I can cross!

Kate said...

Oh my God, you guys are cracking me up with your stirrups stories!! Ha! I can not wait to read these to Collin!!

Thanks so much for all the good wishes and prayers!

Aubrey said...

Em, don't cross too many things. You too are trying to conceive and as far as I can remember, that requires a bit of spreading. ;)

Kate, I'm so, so relieved that you did seek this 2nd opinion. Yea Kira! And it's even better that he got right to the point. 1 point for 2nd opinion dr, 0 pts for 1st dr.

And, I'm going to second the stirrups. I can remember the dread that came with my yearlies. Then once I was pregnant, the first few months of panicky if I'd shaved and looked "presentable". Then by the time of the last tri-mester, I was just happy to get up on the table with little trouble. By the time Gabe came along, I could have exposed my whoohah to just about anybody who walked in and asked. It's funny how much we are expected to surrender as mothers even before we become one isn't it? That's God's way of preparing us for all the indignities that comes with kids. UGH!

Here's to happy periods all around.