Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Coming straight to your Inbox

A few of you have asked if I had anything on this blog that would notify you if a new entry was posted. Guess what?! After much sweat, tears, and hard work I finally have one up and running!

Okay, I didn't really sweat, or cry, or work that hard....but there was alot of swearing - trust me on that. Damn it, this one isn't working either? What the eff? Piece of Sh......

It took me three trial runs before I finally found a service that, you know, actually notified me when I posted a new entry. Which, I don't know, was kinda key in this whole deal....

So Thank you Feedblitz for stepping up and doing your job!

If you are interested in subscribing to posts via email all you have to do is enter your email address in the Notify Me! box at the right. You'll then have to complete an image verification and you should be set. Simple as that.

Notices of new entries are sent out each evening, so they may be a few (or sometimes several) hours delayed, but again at least they seem to actually be working. Emails will be addressed from Feedblitz and will have "My Merlot" in the subject line. You will want to make sure that your spam folder doesn't pick them up - I did have that problem once at the beginning.

Just doing my job to clutter up your inbox :)

-----------------------------------------------------

Now, on to a hypothetical question in which I'm looking for hypothetical advice.

There are a couple of people in this household who may or may not be throwing a bridal shower in June. These people may or may not be having a discussion regarding shower favors. One of these people may or may not feel like you should have favors to give to your attendees while the other person may or may not think this is insane.

What do you think? Have you given favors at showers you have thrown? Have you received them at showers you have attended? Do you like this idea or is it a waste of money? I may or may not need your help!

7 comments:

MaLinda said...

I think a lot of folks give favors, but it also depends on the "formalness" of the event. I do remember at Kira's shower in Rockford that the prizes for the games were to be given to the bride, as apparently is tradtional. Perhaps you should google Ms Manners on this one.

Aubrey said...

I have always attended showers that have game prizes, and I think more than half have had favors. Any shower, or party for that matter, that I've thrown I've used favors. It's kind of the way you say, "thanks for taking the time to attend this party I've spent hours planning, getting ready for, and hoped wouldn't be a complete bust!. But I don't think it would be awful to not do them if they throw off the budget.

How's that for running in a circle. Personally, I say do 'em. But I can totally see the other side of this. Boys always think favors are a waste of time and money. Oh...and I saw the cutest little bag the other day that would be so simple to stamp and make if you'd like to get together and make some. Think about it. I'll send you the link.

Kate said...

I haven't been to all that many bridal showers, but at my own, the theme was gardening (I was trying to get our garden under control!) and the hostess sent us home with the little cups that held a bulb in them - which were used at our place settings.

The other showers I've been to did not have favors (although they did do prizes), but as I say I haven't been to many.

I'd say they are optional. I'm not a fan of giving stuff just for the sake of giving it - people have a lot of useless stuff in their lives already, nevermind the ecological and cost considerations. If it can be something memorable and special to the bride, I think that's different. I still have a little figurine of an elephant that my Indian friends gave out at their wedding, and every time I see it I think of them and smile.

By the way, my sister is planning her wedding and has found a lot of great ideas at etsyweddings.blogspot.com - they might have some tips on this there.

Best of luck no matter what you choose!

Kate said...

Me again - I made a mistake - it's http://etsywedding.blogspot.com/ (I went plural the first time)

Kristin C. said...

At the showers I have hosted, I have given favors. Usually something small..some candies in a metal tin with a label from www.myownlabels.com. I LOVE THIS WEBSITE and they have so many great styles that you can custom design. I think you'll be addicted after you visit the site. Check out the ideas page for some inspirtation!

Em said...

I've planned or helped plan two showers. For yours, we just did prizes for the games (more people were invited). For my sister's, each person received a favor (something relatively inexpensive from Bath and Body Works), but there were under 10 people in attendance. I'd take that into consideration, I guess, as one of the deciding factors. Whatever you choose, I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" answer on this one.

Also, Malinda's comment made me laugh, because remember how we had NO idea that giving the prize gifts to the bride was a tradition? Becky Donoahue must've thought I was crazy, telling her to keep her gift! LOL

Kate said...

Thank you guys SO MUCH for all of the advice/tips and links on this shower stuff. I'm still not quite sure what we are going to do, but I really appreciate your input!

Em, I'm not sure if I ever told you but that same thing happened at Kira's shower - the ladies gave the gifts back to the bride. I explained to them that we were so confused by this. This is not something we do in our generation. When you win a gift you keep it, you hoard it, because, dude, free stuff!! They had a good laugh.