Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Tax time is rough on a Type-A Procrastinator

I took last Friday off of work for a number of reasons, one of them being that I needed to get our taxes done. So, do you think I did them? I'll give you a hint; the answer is a two letter word beginning with N and ending O. This was fine until Sunday evening. See, here's the bad thing about being a Type A, once you get something in your mind you fixate on it until it makes you sick. Wait, maybe this isn't a trait of the Type A personality, maybe it is just a trait of ME.

Our Easter weekend was very nice; we were able to spend time with some friends and family and I didn't think twice about our taxes not being completed. Until, like I said, Sunday evening. And that's when it hit me like a Mac truck. BAM! Your taxes aren't done!! It's March 23rd and you only have 23 days left to file. What are you thinking????

Now, you may be sitting there thinking to yourself, what's the problem, she still has 23 days? And I would say to you: Yes, you're correct I still have 23 days, also, I'm jealous of your calm, collected, Type B-ness. Unfortunately, there is nothing calm or collected about me when I get something in my head. And this time, that something was that our taxes needed to be done RIGHT. THIS. SECOND. Except, it was 10 pm and there was no way in hell I was going to start working on them then.

I went to work on Monday and I have no idea how I was able to get anything accomplished because all that was on my mind is that my taxes weren't done!! So Monday night I pulled out all of the paper work and started getting down to business. And then I remembered why I had put this project off. For the past couple of years I've had something that has caused me heartache while doing taxes. Last year it was my parent's sales of securities, which wasn't a problem until their broker wouldn't provide a cost basis. Assholes. I'm still bitter about that one. You don't even want to know how long it took me to go back to the early 90's to determine their basis. And don't try to tell me there is an easier way - I'm a Type A, which means NO ESTIMATING!

This year my issue was that I had to start depreciating Duplex # 1. Which again, isn't really a big deal except that we didn't buy this duplex, we built it, so I wanted to make sure I was using the right cost. When I finally decided that I was doing it correct (I hope!?) my calculation of depreciation for this year was $7 off from what the system was telling me. $7 people!! A sensible person would say, awesome, I got it. But I am not sensible. I said. $7 -what the hell is wrong here? And so I made myself sick with the worry (seriously, my stomach hurt so bad I could barely move yesterday) until I finally figured last night that I had fretted and calculated long enough and it was time to say eff the $7 and file your taxes already. And so I did. And then I printed out the return and the reason for the $7 difference was perfectly and I mean perfectly clear. And today I got an email saying that both our Federal and State returns have been accepted. And all is right with the world again.

Speaking of our duplexes, I don't know if anyone is interested, but I always said I'd send pictures and have never actually done that because, well, I've never taken any pictures. But, we have one for sale right now, and our realtor has some photos up online. We're thinking about taking this off the market soon, but in the meantime, if you want to see some pictures click here. This is duplex # 2, but #1 is very similar.

3 comments:

Em said...

Oh good, I'm glad you got the taxes done so that you can stop fretting. I don't know if it's being Type-A, obsessive-compulsive, or plain insane, but I do this same thing...where I get something in my head and make myself sick over it until it's done. Seems so dumb, but I can't seem to help it!

Anywho, the duplex is tres chic. Nice big kitchen and I love the corner fireplace. Good luck with the sale, or if that doesn't pan out, with renting. That Collin...he does good work. :)

Aubrey said...

Hmm...how much are the taxes there? I love the duplex! No, we can't really move. Mom isn't retiring for another 3 yrs. Maybe then and we'll by the whole building from you guys!

I'm relieved (releived?? i before e except after c,but what are the exceptions??) that you got your taxes finished. I always do mine the minute our paper work comes in. Ours are much simpler, except we sold some stock this year and the company wouldn't send us the paper work until the end of Mar and I couldn't wait. SO it took hours to calculate some of the numbers I needed. I'm sure we'll get audited when they really check it out, but who knows. I'm not going to worry about it now.

I'll have to see what type of personality I have. I used to think I was type-A, but I'm pretty sure I'm a type-b with type-A tendencies. Interesting

Michele said...

Isn't it great the things we have to worry about now?? I remember the good ol' days when I had to worry about what clothes to wear to school or the nearing final exam in college.
I, like you, fret about taxes all the time. This year, it's when do I have to send my check in. Oh yeah... I'm one of those stingy bast*$!@ that is going to wait until the 15th!!
The duplex is great! Interested in building one for me way down here in IL?? Seriously... itching to build a house if you're willing to shoot me a price... I think the duplex is beautiful just like your house! :)