Friday, February 8, 2008

Vacation Day & Recipe: Parmesan Chicken

This afternoon we’re heading up north to the cabin for the weekend, so I took a vacation day today. Collin still had to work at least half a day so my original plan for today was to get up when he left for work and clean the floors. Last night, I decided FUCK THAT! This is a vacation day and I’m going to treat it as one. So instead, this is what I’ve done today:

- Slept in until 8:30
- Had cookies and milk for breakfast (I know, I know, I’m supposed to be eating healthy - but this is a VACATION day!)
- Sent a couple of emails
- Caught up on some blog reading
- Worked out for an hour and did not feel guilty for even 1 minute about the other things I could have been doing

I’m now off to shower and pack. I can’t wait to get up to the cabin. Justin & Kira are already en route and my parents will be coming up in the morning. We’re hoping to do one or more of the following this weekend: snowshoe, cross county ski, ice fish. If we do none and just hang out in the cabin drinking tea from my Grandma’s old teapot and watch movies, I’ll be fine with that.

Before we go I wanted to leave you with another healthy recipe. This one came from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly.

Parmesan Chicken
Makes 8 servings
(Ideal slow-cooker size: 4- or 5-quart)

8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 lbs)
½ cup water
1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
½ cup grated fat-free Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. paprika

Place chicken and water in slow cooker.
Cover. Cook on high 2 hours
Mix remaining ingredients. Spread over chicken.
Cover. Cook on high 2-2 ½ hours.

My variations: I use shredded parmesan because I don’t like grated, it reminds me of eating sand. Blah. I cut this recipe in half or even a quarter when I make it. And lastly, I cook this while I’m at work so I don’t use the two step cooking process. Instead, I put everything in the slow cooker in the morning before work and cook it on low all day. It works just as well.

Nutrition information: per serving – 180 calories (35 from fat), 4 g total fat (1g saturated, 0g trans), 75mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium.


Wow, that there is a large picture of a chicken breast. Oh well, this computer takes too damn long to load pictures for me to re-do it. Enjoy your weekend!

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

I hate admitting it, but I am so jealous of you and the time you spend with your family. We never did that kind of stuff and I'm sure we never will. I'm envious of how you and Kira get along, as do Collin and Justin. I wish I had a place to escape my life like a family cabin.

I'm forever grateful to have a friend like you to live vicariously through. I have to remind myself (quite often recently) how lucky I am to have my 3 kids, a great husband and a fabulous old home. It's hard to remember this sometimes when I read posts like this. :(

Kristin C. said...

Ooooooh! Nothing sounds better than an unplanned weekend of fun with family up at the cabin. It's great to be able to say, "maybe we'll go frolic out in the snow and get all active...or MAYBE we'll mellow out inside with some good food, games, and a movie". SOunds like heaven. As for you "vacation day" spent at home. Bravo to you for not giving in to the cleaning monster and starting your weekend off right with milk and cookies for breakfast...sounds good.....