Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hello der!

One of our friends always answers his phone with a big jolly “Hello der!” It makes me smile every time. I know it has only been 5 days since I’ve been online snooping through, I mean, getting updates on your daily life, but man those five days feel like forever. So, how have you been?

Our trip up north was everything I was hoping it would be and more (literally). The weather was nice on Saturday so we spent the afternoon snowshoeing between our lake and the bigger lake across the road. We spent the evenings playing multiple games of euchre, which I’ll have you know, Kira & I won more times than we lost. We may have started off a little rusty with that 10-0 sweep, but do not doubt us boys, we will come back and it will be with a vengeance. And we will spend the rest of the weekend hearing you complain “if we could just get a good hand.” Ha! Queens of Euchre, right here!



I also spent a good portion of my weekend with my nose in this book. I haven’t finished it yet, but so far I’m loving it. I never would have picked this up on my own, Ma Kono lent it to me, but it makes me wonder why I don’t read more thriller/suspense/mystery books. I spent so much time reading this book that they boys were getting pissed at me. Can’t you put that thing down? I was even reading while hands were being dealt. And now that I think about it, that was a little obsessive. But it is just so good!

Luckily we took advantage of the good weather on Saturday, because that night it dropped to at least 40 below with the wind chill and Sunday was pretty brutal. We packed up Sunday afternoon to head home but that wasn’t in the cards (he, he, God we played A LOT of euchre). Because our cars had sat outside all weekend and hadn’t been driven since Friday evening, the gas lines froze. My parents’ was working so the guys ran into town to buy supplies for Operation: Make Car Run. The supplies consisted of the following: tarp, giant propane heater, propane tank. If you think that sounds dangerous, you’re probably right. In the end it didn’t work, though it did send my Mom into a giant tizzy. Sorry Mom, but I thought I was the Nervous Nelly in the group.

So, we ended up staying an extra day. Which was wonderful….until we got home. As soon as I walked in the door my stress level sky rocketed just thinking about everything I had to get done in 4 days now, instead of 5. And of course, I got word yesterday that one of my deadlines that was supposed to be next week, oh yeah, that one? We’re gonna need that by the end of this week.

I’m already dreaming about my next vacation day.

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Wow! Sounds like a very busy fun weekend. I love that you and your mom are so alike in your worrying. Isn't it funny the things we inherit from our parents? What an event I'm sure it was watching the potential explosion that could have happened w/ propane, tent, and fire. Wowza. I hope you can find some peace this week while trying to meet deadlines and finish books. It's been forever since I've read a book. I was so glad to be in bed by 10 and Millie slept until 3:30 am when Darrell got home from work to take her out. Then she and I got out of bed this morning at 7:12. I'm almost as happy as I was with kids sleeping through the night.