Thursday, February 14, 2008

Breaking Tradition

I’m not sure how we started this tradition, or if we even meant for it to be a tradition, but every Valentine’s Day since we’ve been together Collin and I have made seafood alfredo for dinner. I’ll never forget that first Valentine’s Day. We weren’t living together yet and Collin came to my apartment and brought marinated venison steaks and I made the alfredo. Even though we weren’t leaving the house I put on a black skirt and thin yellow sweater and made sure my hair and makeup was just right.

Fast forward 5 years and tonight we didn’t have the ingredients to make the seafood alfredo so after work we made a quick stop at the grocery store. Let me preface this by saying we were both at work late and by the time we got there I was STARVING. I learned tonight why they say not to go grocery shopping when hungry. We went in for the following items to make dinner tonight:

Crab meat
Salmon
Linguine
Whipping cream

After walking around aimlessly we left the store with the following:

Pizza Rolls (I’ve been craving these since Tessie mentioned them)
Buffalo chicken strips
Ice cream

How’s that for a romantic dinner? I fully intend to eat this while lounging in my sweats with my hair in a half-assed pony tail. What a difference 5 years can make.

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Wait a few years longer. This Valentines, Darrell went to court to pay a speeding ticket, we got kids sent to preschool, he worked on the mustang and truck, we played a few minutes of Lego Starwars Wii after I got done stuffing Valentine treat bags, he went to work and I spent the evening cleaning up poop. From Millie outside, from Maggie (who hadn't pooped for days!) and she subsequently clogged the toilet with a roll of toilet paper and wet wipes. Arlington and Gabe fought all night and I wanted to sell them all! Happy Valentines Day! I was glad it was still not as depressing as Mother's Day, but I swear, I'm giving up holidays all together!