Monday, January 28, 2008

The things I'll do for love

Last week Ma & Pa Kono were in Mexico for a wedding and extended vacation. There were 40 some people in their group all from town, including a number of our friends, and it sounds like they had a blast. I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t a tad bit jealous of their trip. While we were here with temperatures around 30 below, they were sitting on the beach, soaking up the sun drinking a Miami Vice.

While they were gone Collin decided to park his truck at their house and use his Dad’s for the week. Pa’s truck is bigger and has 4-wheel drive; Collin was in his glory. They got home last Thursday night and Collin said he’d bring the truck back this weekend. On Saturday afternoon he drove over to his parents, thinking he had left the key to his truck in their house. No such luck. We had plans to meet for lunch so his parents dropped him off with me and we said we’d come back on Sunday with the key since it must be at home.

I’m sure you can see where this is going. The key was not here either. The key has disappeared. This wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if we had a spare, but no, we do not have a spare. Collin has ONE key to his truck and THAT KEY is MIA.

We’ve searched our house up and down. Collin has searched his parents’ house and unloaded his truck twice looking for this damn key. After thinking through all the scenarios we started wondering if maybe Maia had eaten the key. I don’t believe this is the case because although she likes to chew things, she normally leaves the mess on the living room floor, and we haven’t seen any sign of the key or the attached remote on the floor. None the less we were getting a little desperate so tonight Collin said he was going to head outside for a scavenger hunt. When I got home I asked if he had any luck finding the key and he looked at me with those puppy dog eyes and said “I tried, I went out there, but it’s going to make me sick. I thought maybe you could do it.”

And that is why I spent my evening digging through multiple piles of dog shit.

And still no sign of the effing key!! If you were a key, where would you hide?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't have a lot of experience being a key, but I think if I were a key I would be some place comfortable-so I would check his pants pockets, coat pockets, any clothes he may have been wearing the day he last drove his truck. If I were a key looking for selfconcious key I would be in the centercouncil or cup holder of Pa Kono's truck trying to see what it feels like to be cool. If I were a smart key though, I would be calling a the dealership to see if they could hook me up with a key friend (or 2) so I will never be lonely again.

Anonymous said...

clearly Kate your sister-in-law is on some lovely cold meds and is having a hard time typing, disregard the entire previous statement about "being a key...blah blah blah" I have no idea what the frick I was talking about, I don't think I wrote that. Well, hope you find your key. Ha! I'm rereading what I just typed, man I think I need to sleep.

See you tomorrow. Kira

Kate said...

Kira, you're comment cracked me up! I think we're going to have to get a new one made. The thing that sucks about that is you know as soon as we do it, the key will turn up.

Enjoy your day off and hopefully the weather holds out for us tonight!

Aubrey said...

Don't you totally wish you had that key genie thing where all you have to do is press the button and it gives off that loud piercing sound. Then you'd know where it was.

I LOVED Kira's ideas. Did you check your lint filter in the washing machine? Maybe this is your excuse to clean the den? Ha, ha. That's what I'd wind up doing. Flippin' keys. I want a finger pad on my car so it just scans and goes!

Good luck either way.

Michele said...

Any luck yet? I hope you're not still digging outside for that key! Your dog is so adorable! We have a Swissie in the obedience class just before Rex's class. She is the cutest little (well, not really little) puppy. They are an adorable breed!

Kate said...

Michele - No, still no luck. SUCKS!! Ohhhh, there is a Swissy in the class before Rex's? If you ever have a chance to talk to the owner, ask who their breeder was. Someday, maybe once Maia is a little older, I'd love to get a boy.