Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Let the Exercising Begin!!

I am so happy to announce that 12 people (including potentially 4 guys!!) have agreed to participate in the Fitness Challenge. I just want to say thank you so much to all of you because I am so excited about this and it wouldn’t be possible without all of you agreeing to participate. For anyone else that may still be interested, it’s not too late! In fact, it will never be too late; anyone is welcome to join at anytime. The only real benefit to starting in January is that I’m planning to reward anyone who makes it through the first three and six months, but that would mean you would have to participate all three of those months.

There are some other things I’ve been thinking I should fill you in on, just to make this all a little less scary. For the month of January we will base points solely on exercise performed. Just as a reminder, 1 point is given for each 10 minutes of exercise which includes: cardio, weight training, and/or mind/body exercises such as yoga or Pilates. I realize however that everyone is at a different fitness level and therefore giving points solely on the amount of time spent working out would be unfair. So, in future months there will be opportunities to earn bonus points.

Unless you are all really opposed, I’m going to have you report your points to be on a weekly basis (with Monday being the first day of the week and Sunday the last). I don’t want this to be too time consuming, so please do this in whatever way is the easiest for you, I’m thinking email is probably the best. Again, all I need is your points; you do not need to tell me what exercises were performed. I think it is important to report on a weekly basis instead of monthly because I feel like it will keep your fitness goals in the forefront of your mind. I have decided that I too need to be held accountable for my points, so I plan to add a box on the sidebar to the right to track my weekly and monthly points for all of you to see. This makes me cringe a little, I’m afraid I’m going to embarrass myself, but if I’m asking you to report to me, this is only fair.

I’ve had a suggestion to show everyone’s points (anonymously) for those that are motivated by competition. Let me know how you feel about this, what I don’t want to happen is have this discourage anyone. Also, another suggestion I received was to post a weekly “Healthy Recipe” – which I plan to do, because although this is a Fitness Challenge, I think we all desire to live healthier. If anyone has any favorite healthy recipe they’d like to share, please send it to me and I’ll share it here!

Please let me know if you have any questions and suggestions are always welcome! Please check back here for updates. I plan to post the prizes for the month sometime around week 3.

Lastly, please remember, this is about improving our health and every little bit helps. Also, for those of us who haven’t been exercising regularly (ME!) don’t over do it in the first week, take it easy and listen to your body.

Good luck to everyone and happy exercising! Hope you all had a very Happy New Year!!

EDITED TO ADD: Since we are beginning today, January 1st, week one will be a short week running from Tuesday - Sunday.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Hey Cate, so we are suppose to email you our points (1 point per 10 minutes)? Okay so here it goes. 6 points first week.

Ben