Thursday, January 24, 2008

January Prizes!

With only one week left in the first month of the Fitness Challenge I thought this might be a good time to announce the prizes for January. Drum roll please.......

  1. Choice of the BodyMinder Workout and Exercise Journal or The Ultimate Workout Log - I'm currently using the BodyMinder log but have used The Ultimate log in the past. I like having an exercise journal to record my times, distance, and programs used for my cardio workouts and love having the journal to record weights and reps when I lift. It is also a handy way to gage your progress and improvement. I switched to the BodyMinder log this year because the strength training section has a better format to include weight and reps from each set. So if lifting is your thing, this log would probably be a better choice for you. I also think the cover of this log is a little more conducive to bringing it along to the gym as it is more sleek and discreet. What I kind of miss about The Ultimate log is that it was set up in weeks and at the beginning of each week it had a section to set your goals for the week. My goals always tend to be very lofty and unrealistic, but I still liked this because it got me thinking about the week, about when I could fit exercise into my schedule and about what I wanted to accomplish. Also, because I'm corny, I liked the fitness tid bits that were on each page.


  2. Ab Wheel - I bought this my first year out of college when I couldn't afford a gym membership. Heck, I couldn't even afford a McDonald's cheeseburger....and aren't they on the DOLLAR menu??? I was scraping by, and that's putting it nicely. I still sometimes wonder how the hell I made it through that year. Anyway, this little gadget was cheap and Wow! is it a work out. It tones both your abs as well as your arms/shoulders. I should warn you though, I read a review on this yesterday and it said it is not a good tool for beginners due to the risk of injury and I agree whole heartedly with that. But if you've been working out for awhile and are looking for a new challenge, this might be a good investment.

  3. French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure - I know this isn't quite "workout" gear, but I wanted to provide another option in the event the winner doesn't want a log and what hell I'm I going to do with an ab wheel? I read this book a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it. In fact, I intend on taking it out again and rereading it soon. (Sorry Alanna, I still have your copy - would you like that back?) The thing I liked about this book is that it doesn't advocate dieting, in the sense that we know the word. There are also a few things I took from this book that I still incorporate into my daily life. For example, each morning I always have a glass of water, in order to rehydrate my body, before I drink a cup of coffee or tea. This is a good read if you are interested in being healthier on a long-term basis without any of that fad diet business.

And in the event these all SUCK! I'll also throw in a $10 gift certificate to either MC Sports or Dunham's .

Feel free to let me know what you think about the prizes - good, bad, really shitty, whatever! Also let me know if there is anything in particular you'd like to see in coming months.

Lastly, just wanted to let you know that week 5 for January will run from Monday the 28th through Thursday the 31st. With the winner announced (hopefully) on Thursday. The first week of February will run from Friday the 1st through Sunday the 10th. I'll announce February's challenge when the winner from this month is posted.

Keep up the good work!

5 comments:

Aubrey said...

Kate, thanks for posting recommendations. This will be really helpful for those of us who don't win. We'll still have access to the info or tools on our own. I really love the book. I'm going to have to find that at the library or buy it on my own. Should that be the book that jump starts the book club back up and running?

I still want to thank you for just keeping me accountable for my health. Like you, if I have to report it to someone, it makes me really want to do what I can. And I have. While I'm not necessarily SO PROUD of what I've done so far, it really is a HUGE improvement from what I didn't do before.

I love you!

Buck said...

Kate...I think it is great you started the fitness challange. I really like the prizes. It has helped even somebody like me...who works out religiously every week. Now when I go to the gym I can think...workout roller?, workout log?..30 more minutes and they could be mine. My suggestion for the challenge would be progress from week to week, or month to month. There can be an overall points leader, but there could also be prizes for people who improve the most (ie...reps, weights, faster time, more work outs) This could only be accomplished if people recorded their activities. This is just a suggestion. I started a workout program when I was in college for (SLEA) my law enforcement group, and i had people record points..but also had them make a goal for the month. So for example...my goal for February was to be able to bench 20 lbs more on my bench, while yours was to be able to run 1.5 miles 30 seconds faster. You could have people make goals and then you vote who you think deserves the most improved award. This would still encourge people who might not have the time to work out 2 hours a day. Let me know what ya think

Em said...

Great prizes, Kate! Thanks again for doing this whole thing...it is inspiring to so many of us! :)

Also, Aubrey, I was just thinking about writing you girls the other day to ask if we wanted to start up the book club again. I think it'd be a lot of fun. :)

tiff said...

Hey! I didn't know you had a blog. Thanks for the nice comments on mine. I'll have to start reading yours now! :)

Kate said...

Buck - Thanks for the ideas. I've been thinking alot about these since I read this and I'm going to figure out an easy way to incorporate this into one of the monthly challenges. I might run some things by you one of these nights.

Tiff - I'm a total amateur, but so far it has been fun!